Duncanville Marching Invitational

The DMI is going to be an awesome contest this year! There are some really great bands that will be competing.

http://www.duncanville.k12.tx.us/band/DMI.HTM

The 2005 DMI is pleased to announce the judging panel:

Dale Barnett, Union High School, Tulsa

David Bertman, University of Houston

Mark Edenfield, Houston

Brad Kent, Lamar University

Brian Youngblood, TCU

DMI ENTRIES:

Charles Akins High School, Austin, Texas

Burleson High School, Burleson, Texas

Clements High School, Sugarland, Texas

The Colony High School, The Colony, Texas

Fossil Ridge High School, Keller, Texas

Haltom High School, Haltom City, Texas

Lake Highlands High School, Dallas, Texas

Langham Creek High School, Houston, Texas

Robert E. Lee High School, Midland, Texas

Martin High School, Arlington, Texas

Paschal High School, Ft. Worth, Texas

Pflugerville High School, Pflugerville, Texas

Plano East High School, Plano, Texas

Pleasant Grove High School, Texarkana, Texas

Summit High School, Mansfield, Texas

Trinity High School, Euless, Texas

Weatherford High School, Weatherford, Texas

Here is who, out of that list, I think will be Finalists:

Charles Akins

Clements

The Colony

Fossil Ridge

Haltom

Lake Highlands

Langham Creek

Martin

Pflugerville

Plano East

Pleasant Grove in Finals Exhibition.

My early prediction would be for Haltom to take their Second DMI Championship.

Don't forget Clements.  If last year was any indication, these guys will be smoking.  Maybe not enough to beat Haltom, but they'll definetly be up there.

Also a good point, but it was my understanding that they were a very mature group last year and that this year they are fairly young. I could have heard that of a different group though.

Edit: Which doesn't really mean too much as last year Bell was very young.

Sorry Moose, but if you have never heard Plano East then that is too bad. They can definitely hang with the best. They won a few years back and came in second to Cedar Park one year. They usually always sound pretty darn good. I also agree that Clements will do pretty darn well. There many groups that were young last year. Duncanville had a very young group last year, but they did extremely well. They look much smaller this year, but they sound pretty darn good.

Duncanville had a very young group last year, but they did extremely well.  They look much smaller this year, but they sound pretty darn good.

Yeah, that group was pretty young, but they have grown a lot and this years group is much more talented.

I thought they looked smaller at first this year too, but the drill is charted with the exact same number of spots as last year. I think it is just that the drill this year has a lot of different looks and flavors to it.

Edit: How is Mr. V. doing?

• 3 weeks later...
maybe this is just a dumb question, but i have to ask..

why doesn't duncanville do BOA?i mean, they're awesome and could do it. but why don't they?

History and Political and Philisophical differences. I don't want to go any further than that.

And despite what people say, Jackson Academy has nothing to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Arlington Martin has a very good chance to win Duncanville for the 2nd time in their history. They won the UTA marching festival this past weeked by more than a 5 point margin. Thay have an unbelievable show this year called soundscapes which is really Phantom's show from 2003. Their marching, while still having a few problems, is superior for this early in the season. The new head band director has this group headed in the right direction and will make some major waves this year!

This time I don't agree with Bell Band Director. (Which director are you?)

I saw Martin at the football game the day before the UTA competition and they do have a very nice show that is on a fairly high level for them this early in the season, but it wasn't even near the level that I saw from Haltom and Richland at the HEB competition. I do think that they would make Finals at the Extremely stacked BOA Arlington, but I do not think that they would make the top 5.

I can see both Haltom and Langham Creek (I haven't seen LC this year) placing above Martin at this competition.

And while Martin's show has quite a bit of GE since it is pulled from Phantom, you have to remember that DMI has a very low percentage of GE in the scoring rubriks.

yes but their show has a lot of musical content and the marching is very difficult. Haltom is nowhere near ready and you have to remember the time that Langham Creek lost due to hurricane Rita. Martin's last movement is simply jaw dropping that the band can play with that kind of technique and when the first movement comes back at the end of the show is really pretty ingenious. Unless they quit working like they have, I don't forsee Haltom catching them or Langham Creek being about to perform to their level. I will be at the Bridville competition this weekend and will update after that

Be careful how you judge a band that has a new director. Their new director really seems to have gotten the band's act together. I saw MHS at the Duncanville game and they performed much better than duncanville did in every aspect of what they were doing. You might want to make sure you auctually WATCH a band before you start doubting them.

Be careful how you judge a band that has a new director. Their new director really seems to have gotten the band's act together. I saw MHS at the Duncanville game and they performed much better than duncanville did in every aspect of what they were doing. You might want to make sure you auctually WATCH a band before you start doubting them.

Are you somehow related to the Martin band?

If you are, then you may not be purely objective as to the quality of the performances and thus your comment cannot be taken at face value.

If not, then why were you attending the Duncanville vs. Martin game?