Hmmm. I don't know if you mean in general or in finals, but if you mean finals I could name some schools that could keep a few of these schools out of finals. Hint, the schools are from the Houston area, DFW, Valley, and Area A. I'm sure you can figure out which ones I speak of

I'm pretty confident that all 7 of those bands could easily make finals...The only thing preventing that is themselves. Are there other strong bands in the state that could deny that? Of course. But I will guarantee that all the bands that advance from this area, whether it be 4 or 5 bands...will make finals.

I keep building these bands up, so they better live up to the hype :rolleyes:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Area A hasn't had a band above 2A in Finals since 2006, that would make me very happy. Which Area A schools do you speak of? I know Frenship and Del Valle are definetely on the rise. Frenship beat Azle (Area A 1st place and 14th at state last year) pretty handily at the Centennial Contest and Del Valle placed pretty well in BOA Arlington.

Hmmm. I don't know if you mean in general or in finals, but if you mean finals I could name some schools that could keep a few of these schools out of finals. Hint, the schools are from the Houston area, DFW, Valley, and Area A. I'm sure you can figure out which ones I speak of
Edited by Drummantx

Considering Area A hasn't had a band above 2A in Finals since 2006, that would make me very happy. Which Area A schools do you speak of? I know Frenship and Del Valle are definetely on the rise. Frenship beat Azle (Area A 1st place and 14th at state last year) pretty handily at the Centennial Contest and Del Valle placed pretty well in BOA Arlington.

I would list schools, but I need to make sure that lines aren't going to be redone before next marching season. As soon as I find that out, i will list some schools that could keep a few of these Area D schools out. But also depends on how many are allowed to advance to state, so we'll just have to wait

I would list schools, but I need to make sure that lines aren't going to be redone before next marching season. As soon as I find that out, i will list some schools that could keep a few of these Area D schools out. But also depends on how many are allowed to advance to state, so we'll just have to wait

Of course the lines are going to change. Bands constantly changing with incoming and outgoing classes. So saying you will list bands as soon as you find out if the lines have changed is just a way to avoid the question possed to you. There is not a single band in Area A that would keep an Area D band out of finals. Thats not a bias statement either. The quality in Area D (as a whole) could very well be the best in the state.

Edited by Rocktapus512

Of course the lines are going to change. Bands constantly changing with incoming and outgoing classes. So saying you will list bands as soon as you find out if the lines have changed is just a way to avoid the question possed to you. There is not a single band in Area A that would keep an Area D band out of finals. Thats not a bias statement either. The quality in Area D (as a whole) could very well be the best in the state.

Not avoiding it. You want the list before the lines are redone than fine. Sherman, Frienship, Dawson, Friendswood, Forney, Mesquite Poteet, Waxahachie, Dawson, Roma, Wylie, Pearce, Heath, Any Frisco School that advances. It's not avoiding the question if some 5A school comes down to 4A. That COULD change things up, which is why I was trying to wait a little bit before listing any school, b/c you just don't know what the UIL is going to do.

Go ahead and list finals if you like. But I don't think you could without being bias. No order, just list the top 10!

Edited by TxRaider13

Not avoiding it. You want the list before the lines are redone than fine. Sherman, Frienship, Dawson, Friendswood, Forney, Mesquite Poteet, Waxahachie, Dawson, Roma, Wylie, Pearce, Heath, Any Frisco School that advances. It's not avoiding the question if some 5A school comes down to 4A. That COULD change things up, which is why I was trying to wait a little bit before listing any school, b/c you just don't know what the UIL is going to do.

Go ahead and list finals if you like. But I don't think you could without being bias. No order, just list the top 10!

How did we jump from Area A programs that could potentially keep Area D bands out of finals, to predicting State Finals? This wasn't a discussion about WHO would be top 10 next year. It was a discussion about Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Hendrickson, Dripping Springs, Connally, Hays, and Vista Ridge being good enough to make finals, and the Area A programs that could keep them out of finals. I wanted to know who you had in mind, because I don't think there are any Area A bands that would keep any of these Area D programs out of finals. Thats why I called you out. I agree that most of the programs you listed could potentially make finals(Friendswood and Poteet will make finals). But Friendswood, and Poteet are not in Area A are they?

As far as me being bias, sure whatever you think dude.

P.S. Alow your profile to recieve PMs. Sending "racey" PMs out but not being able to recieve a PM is pretty low. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it.

Sadly I kinda agree with you, the hightest an Area A band has every placed in 4A state is 7th in the 90s was Plainview. The only 2 bands I could ever see going up the finalist quality are Del Valle and Frenship, the only 2 rapidly increasing programs up here.

Sadly I kinda agree with you, the hightest an Area A band has every placed in 4A state is 7th in the 90s was Plainview. The only 2 bands I could ever see going up the finalist quality are Del Valle and Frenship, the only 2 rapidly increasing programs up here.

If they are still 4A Boswell....And am I the only one who will give any love to Canyon who doesn't go there? What about Sherman? No nobody...Thats okay I like being the one that gives hope to the underdogs!! Besides with the adding of 3 bands will that make Area D take 4 to state or still just 3? If it's 3 a few of these bands are going to be left out. Thats all I was looking for before I listed anyone, and I give hope to Area A next 4A state year.

What happen to Belton HS? They finished 7th in 2001 then just went silent.

Edited by TxRaider13

4 bands advanced from what I think was a pretty weak Area D last year (Dripping Springs, Hendrickson, Hays, LBJ). 3 bands of those bands made finals. Hays placed 10th at state last year and now area D adds 4 bands (if you include Vandegrift) that in my opinion are solidly better than Hays. So in the end you have 6 bands in area D that have made state finals in the past 3 years, plus Vandegrift. Add in LBJ, Lake Travis and Canyon and you have a solid state finals, let alone an area final. I'm hoping this area will advance 5 bands, although we're a long way from finding out if that will be possible.

Boswell, I can give it to them as well. And yes you are the only one that gives any love to Canyon. Thanks you. :) We could MAYBE slip into state next year, it all depends on how many bands show up at Area. If there were at least 20, we could maybe pull a 4th place at Area next year if we keep improving in the strides we have last 2 years. We are just gonna have to pop into that top 5. :/ (We've already started planning next year, and it's sounding pretty good thus far)

If they are still 4A Boswell....And am I the only one who will give any love to Canyon who doesn't go there? What about Sherman? No nobody...Thats okay I like being the one that gives hope to the underdogs!! Besides with the adding of 3 bands will that make Area D take 4 to state or still just 3? If it's 3 a few of these bands are going to be left out. Thats all I was looking for before I listed anyone, and I give hope to Area A next 4A state year.

What happen to Belton HS? They finished 7th in 2001 then just went silent.

And the Canyon I am refering to is the one in the Panhandle.

Boswell, I can give it to them as well. And yes you are the only one that gives any love to Canyon. Thanks you. :) We could MAYBE slip into state next year, it all depends on how many bands show up at Area. If there were at least 20, we could maybe pull a 4th place at Area next year if we keep improving in the strides we have last 2 years. We are just gonna have to pop into that top 5. :/ (We've already started planning next year, and it's sounding pretty good thus far)

And to get back on topic, I definitely think that Cedar Park could be the next 4A dynasty, if they stay where they are quality wise.

I love Cedar Park. I love it when power, and raw talent enter the field and blow everyone away. Great band, Great students, very high class kids, always have shown respect to other bands from contest I have been to that they have attended.

I have only seen Vista Ridge twice and both times at 4A State. But I like the band, and the uniforms

I almost moved to Pflugerville, so I'm very familiar with the bands there, and I love all the Pflugerville bands

Hays, has always had me flip-flopping, I liked 1997, and 2009 shows.

Dripping Springs, I have only gone heads up with them at State my senior year, and they seem to improve every year since 05-06. Good band with great music students. The other years I was just watching from the stands, like at Frisco, and Last state cycle.

LBJ is a really fun band to watch, I would like to see them advance into finals

Edited by TxRaider13

• 2 months later...

There are so many people saying cedar park will dominate and become the next "dynasty" but who knows?

So many programs are just starting to grow. And with the growth some may become alot better than anyone expected. Dripping Springs for example has just become freaking amazing blowing people of their socks. That's the reason for their success in 08.

Then you have other programs like Dawson who are starting to hit its peak and really starting to bring it's A-game.

Ceder Park and Vandergrift are both very talented, but you never know what can happen in between now and the 7-8 months until 4A state arrives. Someone will become the gold medalist and it may be someone that we have never thought of. Cedar park will shake up competition and so will Vandergrift but once again you got to remember that all these other schools are going to bring it. Dripping Springs, Friendswood, Poteet, Dawson, Hendrickson, and PLENTY of other schools. It'll be an intense competition.

But i dont think Cedar Park will be the "dynasty". Any program can become more mature and become amazing. So we will see in the upcoming months what happens.

• 2 months later...

Cedar Park may be, "freakishly," good but it will be hard for them to be a, "dynasty." Seeing that they're stuck in Area D which has bands such as Dripping Springs, Vandegrift, Hendrickson, Hays, and LBJ (just to name a few). Area D will definitely be fun to watch.

They may at first, but considering some of their internal struggles this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Vandegrift surpass them within the next 2-4 years. I also feel like Dripping Springs has established itself as a consistently improving program over the past few years. I'd look for those to be the top 3 programs in area D, with Friendswood and Poteet rounding out the top 5 at the state level. Forney is a bit of a loose cannon if you ask me, but Waxahachie is slowly developing an Honor Band/All State-caliber performance level year round. I wouldn't count out any of the recently successful Frisco schools either. Wakeland will most likely struggle with being split for a couple of years (even if only slightly), and several others are practically brand new. Centennial, on the other hand, has finally reached a point where they are no longer being split and can build into a mature program. Keep an eye on what they're capable of in the future.

Vista Ridge has its own set of issues. There's some amazing teaching going on at Henry MS, but I think a lot of the kids are burned out after their 3 years (especially the top band kids). You know there's a problem when the middle school is starting around 160-200 beginners every year, the top band is earning honors like State Honor Band and Midwest, and then the high school struggles to reach 150 kids.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Poteet may have a rebuilding year coming. The only band director they have ever had is retiring this year. Hope they can land a good person to carry on their excellence.

Poteet may have a rebuilding year coming. The only band director they have ever had is retiring this year. Hope they can land a good person to carry on their excellence.

That's unfortunate Poteet has been a solid contender for a long time. I hope it isn't a rebuilding year, I'd like to see them contend.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be to upset, the word out is that they are looking into some high profile school staff members to take over. I vote we wait and see, they may just find another great director to carry on the tradition.

• 3 weeks later...
Cedar Park may be, "freakishly," good but it will be hard for them to be a, "dynasty." Seeing that they're stuck in Area D which has bands such as Dripping Springs, Vandegrift, Hendrickson, Hays, and LBJ (just to name a few). Area D will definitely be fun to watch.

Has everyone forgot that Cedar Park brings the top 5A bands heavy competitions?

I don't mean to bash 4A, but Cedar Park owns in 5A where the competition is greater. I think they have great potential to be the next 4A dynasty.

Has everyone forgot that Cedar Park brings the top 5A bands heavy competitions?

I don't mean to bash 4A, but Cedar Park owns in 5A where the competition is greater. I think they have great potential to be the next 4A dynasty.

I don't think that we have forgotten but I think that there is a lot of really good competition in 4A. Not only at the State level but also in their area. I think the competition in 4A will surprise them.

They could very well be the next dynasty, only time will tell.

I like how your profile says you're from Dripping Springs, though you actually go to Friendswood and are a member of the Symphonic Band (2nd band) there. What would Mr. Brown say if he knew if one of his students was talking smack about other schools?

I like how your profile says you're from Dripping Springs, though you actually go to Friendswood and are a member of the Symphonic Band (2nd band) there. What would Mr. Brown say if he knew if one of his students was talking smack about other schools?

I love this time of year.

Cedar Park 2011

I'm not that impressed with that, although the metronome isn't helping either.

Would be better if the pit wasn't so close, I'm listening more to what the pit is doing rather than the band. Besides that it sounds like it will be an interesting show.