• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that impressed with that, although the metronome isn't helping either.

Would be better if the pit wasn't so close, I'm listening more to what the pit is doing rather than the band. Besides that it sounds like it will be an interesting show.

For one thing, it is not your job to judge them. Also, wait for the finished product.

I'm not that impressed with that, although the metronome isn't helping either.

Would be better if the pit wasn't so close, I'm listening more to what the pit is doing rather than the band. Besides that it sounds like it will be an interesting show.

I actually disagree, I think there's a lot to be intrigued by, even in that poor quality of video. Should be a fun show. Anyone know the theme?

I actually disagree, I think there's a lot to be intrigued by, even in that poor quality of video. Should be a fun show. Anyone know the theme?

Oh yeah it is intriguing but I don't care for the poor video quality. It looks to be a fun show, will definitely keep an eye on them this coming season

Oh yeah it is intriguing but I don't care for the poor video quality. It looks to be a fun show, will definitely keep an eye on them this coming season

This video is slightly better....the metronome is less prominent and you can hear the band more completely

Edited by mellopwn1

This video is slightly better....the metronome is less prominent and you can hear the band more completely

Now that is great. I do like this version. I can hear the band and not just pit and metronome. This sounds like a great show.

There are so many people saying cedar park will dominate and become the next "dynasty" but who knows?

So many programs are just starting to grow. And with the growth some may become alot better than anyone expected. Dripping Springs for example has just become freaking amazing blowing people of their socks. That's the reason for their success in 08.

Then you have other programs like Dawson who are starting to hit its peak and really starting to bring it's A-game.

Ceder Park and Vandergrift are both very talented, but you never know what can happen in between now and the 7-8 months until 4A state arrives. Someone will become the gold medalist and it may be someone that we have never thought of. Cedar park will shake up competition and so will Vandergrift but once again you got to remember that all these other schools are going to bring it. Dripping Springs, Friendswood, Poteet, Dawson, Hendrickson, and PLENTY of other schools. It'll be an intense competition.

But i dont think Cedar Park will be the "dynasty". Any program can become more mature and become amazing. So we will see in the upcoming months what happens.

My 2 cents? Vandegrift has great feeding schools and a great staff. For now, the only thing CP has on Vandy is the number of the students. The musicality that feeds our repuation I would say originated with Spicer, so when Vandy develops into a bigger school, they'll have no problem muscling their way into the game. But that could take time, and I think in that time that Vandy is building itself up is precisely when CP will dominate the game. Now I'm not saying all those other bands listed previously aren't quality, and I know we're going to have an amazingly tough time next year at state, and I really hope to see everyone bring their A-game so we can have some competition. I'm also really excited to see what the 4A bands across Texas will bring to the table at state, considering all I've seen my two years at CP has been gigantic 5A bands like Marcus, LD Bell, and the Woodlands.

I hope I don't come across as biased, just thought of putting in my opinion to the pool. :)

Good luck to all the Area D bands next year! If not us, then you guys deserve it.

Our theme this year is Mahler. No joke.

So, are you guys just playing the crap out of it and marching or are you somehow actually doing a Mahler "theme"? Knowing CP it's probably the former and not the latter, but who knows....haha.

You COULD be doing something funky...for instance, you start your show with Mahler 2, mvt. 1 "Resurrection," so maybe you bring Mahler back from the dead and then he goes on a murderous rampage across the marching field to gain revenge on those who butcher his masterpieces by not playing them in their original, orchestral form. Then you could have a member viciously fight Mahler to put an end to his rampage and ultimately kill Mahler. Then you could appropriately end the show with one of his funeral marches!

THAT is a show I wouldn't mind seeing B) , although something tells me Wessels might be taking it in a different direction...

I like how your profile says you're from Dripping Springs, though you actually go to Friendswood and are a member of the Symphonic Band (2nd band) there. What would Mr. Brown say if he knew if one of his students was talking smack about other schools?

yeah Mr. Brown would be mad if you said that. Remember what he tells us don't do stupid things or something around that area

• 4 weeks later...
I just graduated from CP, and I can say that the players are looking forward to 4A state next year. Yes, the show next year is all Mahler symphonies (1,2,5, and 7 i believe) and there hasn't been much talk about the show title other than "Mahler Grooves". As far as directors go, I think Wessels has let Chreste lead a lot of the marching band stuff, as he did last year in 2010, so I think Chreste will be making a lot of the musical decisions.

"Mahler Grooves" reminds me of Carolina Crown's "Rach Star".

• 3 weeks later...

I think the real question around here is how good would Cedar Park be musically if they started learning their music around the same time pretty much every other band started learning their's... instead of month's in advance. But I guess that's would it takes if you wanna FSU!

Edited by mrwood69

I graduated from Dripping Springs this past year and I personally figured Cedar Park would come down to 4A and slaughter everyone. However, I watched the Dripping band perform 3 parts of their 4 part show on Thursday, and I was in awe. The music and arrangements for this show are fantastic, and based on our consistency marching-wise, I think this show will be the best we've ever had.

Area D will be highly competitive since it includes some of the best bands in the state.

Good luck Dripping! :)

I graduated from Dripping Springs this past year and I personally figured Cedar Park would come down to 4A and slaughter everyone. However, I watched the Dripping band perform 3 parts of their 4 part show on Thursday, and I was in awe. The music and arrangements for this show are fantastic, and based on our consistency marching-wise, I think this show will be the best we've ever had.

Area D will be highly competitive since it includes some of the best bands in the state.

Yeah I still think Dripping Springs is going to be the better band, but that's just my opinion. I just disagree that Cedar Park is going slaughter everybody. They still have to work just as hard as the other bands.

I think Area D and State will be extremely competitive.

While Dripping Springs might have it on Cedar Park visually (their drill design is quite stale in my opinion), I still think Cedar Park has the upper hand on Dripping Springs musically. That might not end up mattering much in the end, though, since UIL rewards execution over design.

It's going to be a very interesting year for us all here in Texas!