Area B marching contest

GREAT job to all of the bands who competed in the Area B Marching Competition! :) We (McKinney Boyd) played our HEARTS AND SOULS out yesterday during our preliminary performance! I was disheartened and had to hold back tears last night when I heard that we were ranked eleventh and only a single point away from finals, yet, I and the rest of the band have absolutely no regrets as to what we put out on the field yesterday at 11:45 a.m.! Yes, we still have failed to advance to Area Finals in our 5A career, yet, it's hard to forget that only a short two years ago, we were ranked 17th out of 25 bands at Area. The McKinney Boyd band has made great strides as not only an organization, but as a family! :') Yesterday may have been my last chance for the 5A State Marching Competition, but many wonderful memories were created in the process! I know this can be said for many bands as well! :)

Congratulations are in order for Marcus, L.D. Bell, Haltom, and Hebron in their advancement to the 5A State Marching Band Competition as well as alternates Mansfield and Plano East. From what I have heard, Plano East had to perform the remaining two or so minutes of their show in a torrential downpour, AND, despite everything, performed beautifully! Kudos to you all for such ambiance in a difficult and unforeseen situation!

I wish the best of luck to all bands who will compete in the Alamodome in a few weeks! Finally, to all bands who came out to Carrollton, Texas and dealt with the rain, the tornado warnings and the awful, blaring sirens, and the lightning (in short, HORRID conditions) to compete for a chance to advance past Area B, give yourselves a pat on the back! We all have earned it! :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, those two other state bands are in a different area. 6th place is nothing to complain about and i'd say its exactly where i thought you'd place upon watching prelims. Don't complain about it, Mansfield is a great band and just because a judge had you 16th in Music doesn't change that

You are correct finishing 6th is a great accomplishment in an area that produces the State Champion year after year. Not complaining about that. I was only asking how can a judge say 16th out of 23? The show did not fall apart completely and that is what it appears he thought of the quality of music being played.

As others have said this area deserves to send 10 bands to State. To bad the current format does not allow for that.

Good luck at State Marcus, Hebron, LD Bell and Haltom. They will represent us all well.

You are correct finishing 6th is a great accomplishment in an area that produces the State Champion year after year.

Trivia: The 5A UIL State Champion marching band has come from Area B every time since 2000.

2000 - LD Bell

2002 - Duncanville (Was in Area B at the time.)

2004 - LD Bell

2006 - Marcus

2008 - Marcus

I think the free pass is a baddd idea. It's just like how everyone was surprised by Richland not making it - What if Marcus was was disaster in two years, they should still get a pass to state because they USED to be good? No, that doesnt makes sense. However, I do agree that the system is flawed. When all three top bands from state '08 came from 1 Area, there's obviously an imbalance.

i agree or give marcus and bell a "free pass" to state since they have both gone almost everytime, so others can have a shot

Very true, although not many other areas have a single band with potential to win state every year they go much less two in Marcus and Bell. But yeah, aside from that I know that there are good bands everywhere, which is why i said earlier that its a pipedream to be able to redraw the lines so every deserving band could go, so i agree with you, but i wish it wasnt so haha its just the nature of the game i guess.

But i do like the free pass for Marcus and Bell idea, maybe if you medal in state you could be given an exhibition slot at area and a free pass from area the next state year to get new blood in from that area as well, that would cetainly alleviate that problem in this area, and get at least three more deserving schools in the fray. Eh its an idea, i dont think the current system will change anytime soon though haha

Does it really matter if not every area has the potential to make state champion?

I can't really use area A, E, G as examples because I don't know their areas well, but look at that have strong potential to be in finals in the following areas:

Area B: Bell, Marcus, Hebron

Area C: Duncanville and Coppell

Area D: Bowie, Westlake, Reagan, Johnson (I haven't seen the other shows from this area, but they're probably strong)

Area F: The Woodlands, Brazoswood

As for the free pass to state, how fair would that be? They would simply be able to bypass a round of competition. What is a competition if it's not fair? Of course competition isn't always, fair but for that reason we shouldn't make it anymore fair.

Stop crying!! It is what it is so deal with it, they will redue the lines and maybe the areas will be different, but untill then stop crying about it and deal with it.

i wasnt crying, i just dont think its fair that a few of the best bands in the state are in the same area and that area took the least number of people

i wasnt crying, i just dont think its fair that a few of the best bands in the state are in the same area and that area took the least number of people

Just think how Churchill feels and the rest of the finalists in area D, then look at Leander, a great bands that didn't make finals because their area is so strong.

Edited by whitewing09

I just have to interject a minute about Haltom. I'd heard a few things on this board and elsewhere about this being possibly being an "off-year" for them. Well, I just watched the video of them from UIL Region and I was blown away. They are making an extremely difficult Shostakovich music book sound amazing. Berkner's 2000 show has always been my standard for Shostakovich No. 10, but I think Haltom just might replace that this year. I know Xenon mentioned the great brass sounds in his reviews yesterday and I concur. There's very nice bassoon and clarinet solos featured as well. Anyway, I just want to say to the Haltom kids, great job! I am looking forward to seeing this show in person at BOA SA and State.

I just have to interject a minute about Haltom. I'd heard a few things on this board and elsewhere about this being possibly being an "off-year" for them. Well, I just watched the video of them from UIL Region and I was blown away. They are making an extremely difficult Shostakovich music book sound amazing. Berkner's 2000 show has always been my standard for Shostakovich No. 10, but I think Haltom just might replace that this year. I know Xenon mentioned the great brass sounds in his reviews yesterday and I concur. There's very nice bassoon and clarinet solos featured as well. Anyway, I just want to say to the Haltom kids, great job! I am looking forward to seeing this show in person at BOA SA and State.

I completely agree. A lot of people are shocked that they advanced but I'm not. Haltom is proving they deserve it right now. Good luck to Haltom at BOA SA and State!