2006 BOA National Concert Band Festival

Congrats to Cy-Springs (Concert Band and Percussion Ensemble), Georgetown, Oak Ridge, and SFA for being selected to the 2006 National Concert Band Festival.

National Concert Band Festival:

• Cy-Springs H.S. Symphonic Band from Cypress, TX
  • Dobyns-Bennett H.S. Band from Kingsport, TN
  • Douglas Anderson School of the Arts Symphonic Band from Jacksonville, FL
  • Edmond Memorial H.S. Wind Ensemble from Edmond, OK
  • Fayette County H.S. Wind Ensemble from Fayetteville, GA
  • Georgetown H.S. Wind Symphony from Georgetown, TX
  • Harrison H.S. Wind Ensemble from Kennesaw, GA
  • Leon H.S. Symphonic Band from Tallahassee, FL
  • Lewis-Palmer H.S. Wind Symphony from Monument, CO
  • Lockport Township H.S. Wind Symphony from Lockport, IL
  • Madison Central H.S. Wind Ensemble from Richmond, KY
  • McLean H.S. Symphonic Band from McLean, VA
  • Northern Nash H.S. Wind Ensemble from Rocky Mount, NC
  • Oak Ridge H.S. Wind Ensemble from Conroe, TX
  • Rancho Buena Vista H.S. from Vista, CA
  • Starr's Mill H.S. Wind Ensemble from Fayetteville, GA
  • Stephen F. Austin H.S. Honors Band from Sugar Land, TX

National Percussion Festival:

• Carlton J. Kell H.S. Percussion Ensemble from Marietta, GA
  • Cy-Springs H.S. Percussion Ensemble from Cypress, TX
  • West Boca H.S. Percussion Ensemble from Boca Raton, FL

• 2 months later...
^(Great signature G'townPIT)

Out of curiousity how are the bands selected for this. Participation in BOA is mandatory I'm asuming.

thanks! i think it's kinda like the midwest clinic where you send in a tape and get it judged. when the boa people came to talk to our school about it they said 46 or 47 schools sent in tapes. so it's not one of those deals where you pay money to go play, but it's def not as prestigious as the midwest clinic. right, and you have to be a boa member.

the boa representatives really hyped us all up about the festival. they said that like the auditorium would be packed and everything. But I remember a previous thread that said the only people at their boa festival concerts were the other bands.

The only people were OUR other bands. It was complete BS. We were the "premier band" of our night or whatever and only our bands came and saw us. Maybe like... 30 other people. The lack of sleep was quite annoying too (I think we got a total of 10 hours through 3 nights)

The only people were OUR other bands. It was complete BS. We were the "premier band" of our night or whatever and only our bands came and saw us. Maybe like... 30 other people. The lack of sleep was quite annoying too (I think we got a total of 10 hours through 3 nights)

bummer... so did they tell your band that it was going to be a great experience and make all these promises about how great it was going to be? maybe they realized how bad it was last year and have fixed it.

hey are you the guy with the 201 at reigon try-outs?

I gotta agree with everyone else. NCBF was not fun. The "master classes" (or at least mine) was helping 2 girls on their solos for an hour (when of course we could have been sleeping) You had to dress up EVERYWHERE even if you left your room which was fun in the beginning becasue we felt very professional but after about a day we were all craving jeans and t-shirts. Of course the lack of sleep has been mentioned. The concerts....wow.....that's all I have to say. Big auditorium, not many people. Except of course for the Honor Band/Orchestra of America which probably would have been really cool if it wasn't on the LAST night of the festival AFTER the "banquet" they had at 10 pm. Although I do hope everyone else's experience with it was better than mine - I really do.

Oh!! And if you're walking backstage for your concert girls, pick up your dresses or you WILL fall down the stairs. There's my personal advice for you. :P

• 3 months later...

Just got back Sunday night from the ncbf, it was a lot of fun! We had an awesome concert, and got a lot of positive feedback. Our main judge is the current UIL music director, Richard Floyd. So basically, we travelled 1,000 miles to get feedback from a guy who lives 30 miles away. But he gave us some good advice and we were greatful to have such a well respected and knowledgeable judge. Our concert was at 9 pm on Friday, and everyone was really tired. I do have to admit that I was disapointed in the size of our audience, and everyone was severely sleep deprived. But other than that, it was awesome!

yeah cypress springs had its ups and downs. We were the first to play on thursday so we made a very good impression on everybody. The ironic thing is right after the concert dinner on thursay people started getting sick. THroughout the whole trip at total of 20 people out of 60 got sick. We don't know what it was but we're thinking a virus. I felt good until i got back and missed monday because i had a stomach ache and homework to do. The trip was only really fun because our director canceled our rehearsals since not enough people were able to play. He letted us roam the city and we went everywhere like the RCA dome to see the Final four preparations. It was awesome. Overall it was a good and helpful experience by the clinician and master teachers