Favorite Color Of An Instrument

chickora

In my band class, Round Rock HS: Concert Band, my band director, Dr. Rainey(Doc), created this color drill. I am sure there are like warm-ups of this, but the was personally written by him.

Anyways, each section will play a concert F, with a whole rest in between..and there is an order to it, but if you really want the basics... Just ask for them.

Now to the point, There are instruments that I dearly love to listen to.

In my opinion, my favorite color of a band would the horn.

For some reason, I have an obsession of the muffled sound the horn produces, but when not played well, people do know what I am talking about.. IT DOES NOT SOUND PRETTY... But with a dark warm sound, it is the best sounding instrument ever.. *again, in my opinion* It gives that concert F sound a ring.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, can we say nerd?

Now to the ACTUAL point, what is your favorite color, sound, etc..to listen to.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the euphonium myself (surprisingly enough) because of it's versatility. It's like the french horn of the low brass, but it can also fit many other parts: It can blend/support the horn line, produce a nice lower, counter-melody for trumpets, accompany low reeds and the tubas, second-part the trombones, and, should a composer ever right the part (God forbid), play their own melody, accompanyment, or just about anything else. If you've got a nice, solid euphonium section, you can give them any part of a song and it'll sound like it was made for their instrument, even if it wasn't.

Now, if you want me to differ from my own instrument, I'll go with the clarinets. They can give a low, bassline part (should no bass clarinets be handy), or they can tear up a technical run with ease (ie, Lassiter). They'll jazz it up a bit on occasion, or they can lead a ballad that'll make you cry. Obviously, I'm a fan of versatility, and they've definately got it. Plus, I like the solid, full sound they naturally produce (unless, of course, you just aren't good).

Now, if you want me to differ from my own instrument, I'll go with the clarinets. They can give a low, bassline part (should no bass clarinets be handy), or they can tear up a technical run with ease (ie, Lassiter). They'll jazz it up a bit on occasion, or they can lead a ballad that'll make you cry. Obviously, I'm a fan of versatility, and they've definately got it. Plus, I like the solid, full sound they naturally produce (unless, of course, you just aren't good).

Ah, yes... That's the reason why I chose clarinet. I am a big fan versatility to. I do have to agree with the Euphonium being pretty kool.

In fact, our euphonium section is our strongest brass section in our band. I agree totally with everything you say.

I prefer the Trombone, because it has the low bass voicing but it is still clear, but still not as high and annoying as a horn or trumpet. It also has a strong presence and a good resonating tone, if played right mind you.

I also like the vibraphone, because of the resonating of the keys. It has such a mellow, ringing-like tone. Not as sharp as a Xylophone, but not as bass and unclear as a marimba. And the muting provides such versatility.

No they aren't. They are terrible instruments, that have no use outside of the marching idiom. It's the only setback whenever I do drum corps, because I have to get my french horn chops back after tour.

Ah, I think the mellophone adds a wonderul color to the feild.

Me too. I realy wanna learn to play one... I pretty much play the mello part right now kus im an alot player... but all you hear is our mello (there's only one) and she gets all the credit when im workin just as hard as her.... She is a realy good player though!

Yeah, part of my love to the Horn/Mello's sound would have to be because my friend Tarren plays it at VRHS. I don't know if he is any good anymore, but I remember him making an excellent switch it.

Yes, clarinet IS the best instrument in the world...why do you think there are probably a million of us in Texas who play it? :D

Haha, I personally have no idea why I chose the clarinet, only the fact that Percussion was already filled. I was fascinated to the bass clarinet. I wanted to play that at first, but when I discovered that there was a diff. between the two, is when I discovered the clarinet and had fallen in love with the best man in the world.. *My clarinet*

:-)

I tried playing horn. I could play remington and marry had a little lamb. Yes, I know I am talented. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rather surprised nobody's said anything about the trumpets yet. If you're looking for versatility, look no further. It is arguably the best melodic instrument on the field, it can play counter-melodies... It can sound powerful, nasty, edgy... or it can sound soft, pretty, light... it can do pretty much anything.