Your Fearless 2013 Predictions

Hays,

First off I'd like to say you have some nice uniforms! Most of my critiques would be with the design of the show, but y'all can't really control that so I won't talk about that. Y'all did a great job with what was given to you. I would stop there normally but you did ask for critiques and don't take these personally I really want you to succeed: The drill was clean for most of the first and second movements, however, it got dirty when there were rotating diags or boxes, especially in the end. Musically there is a lot of room for improvement. In a lot of moments in the show, the trombones overpower almost the entire brass section. I get that they know how to play really well, but if you replaced that sound with the euphonium or tuba sound, the band would be more resonant (think of it as a Carolina Crown sound it's an exaggeration but it gets the point across). And I think that takes us into the topic of balance. Some moments sound fairly good but most of the time, it sounds amateurish and not because y'all are not good players trust me y'all are good players, it's just that there's a lack of balance; knowing how loud each section in the band should be at a certain part in the marching show . There's also a lack of clarity partly due to a lack of balance but also because the Technical sections don't quite match up and sometimes there's just a mush of sound. I could go on and on but I'll stop myself there. Overall a very strong performance.

That is an interesting analysis. Are you a band director/music major?

BandAManic, you know, I really wasn't listening too hard at Vista Ridge, I was just trying to enjoy myself (Got myself some caramel popcorn YUM!). From the things I can remember there were some spacing and timing issues, but to definitively give you some concrete answers I would need another listen.  As an audience member you had a cool show, you played together as far as any parent could tell and you had a fair number of cool moments. (The fanfare trumpet and the flute, and the compass set in the beginning were really cool!). Don't take the results of Vista Ridge to heart, the audience enjoyed it. Keep working hard, and have fun!

To answer your other question I am currently not a music major but might receive a minor in flute performance if I do well enough in my classes! Hook 'em Horns!

PS it's only because engineering pays better, and I kind of like building things as well. Also if you love doing something but are not in the major, just sit in that class it's so amazing, you learn so much.

BandAManic, you know, I really wasn't listening too hard at Vista Ridge, I was just trying to enjoy myself (Got myself some caramel popcorn YUM!). From the things I can remember there were some spacing and timing issues, but to definitively give you some concrete answers I would need another listen.  As an audience member you had a cool show, you played together as far as any parent could tell and you had a fair number of cool moments. (The fanfare trumpet and the flute, and the compass set in the beginning were really cool!). Don't take the results of Vista Ridge to heart, the audience enjoyed it. Keep working hard, and have fun!

To answer your other question I am currently not a music major but might receive a minor in flute performance if I do well enough in my classes! Hook 'em Horns!

PS it's only because engineering pays better, and I kind of like building things as well. Also if you love doing something but are not in the major, just sit in that class it's so amazing, you learn so much.

We didn't have our best run that day. Still working hard though!

Vincent I was Talking about the Lehman Band at the Vista Ridge marching festival. (I should have been more clear) And I know you didn't have as good of a run as ya'll could have, I was there listening to you beforehand (during rehearsal). Still a really cool show, though!

I don't know if this bold, but I predict CP over taking Vandy. I know that Vandy beat CP at BOA Austin and Vandy is doing incredibly (as it usually does), but just from watching and listening to CP's show, it seems like they have a lot to work with by the time the end of the season rolls around. They're also the type of band that takes crazy difficult shows and cleans the heck out of them. 

I think there is a pretty good chance that top four bands advancing from Area D will be the LISD bands, who will go on to dominate state. Although Dripping Springs might push one of these bands into the 5th spot, so hopefully there will be enough bands that day to send five to state.

I don't know if this bold, but I predict CP over taking Vandy. I know that Vandy beat CP at BOA Austin and Vandy is doing incredibly (as it usually does), but just from watching and listening to CP's show, it seems like they have a lot to work with by the time the end of the season rolls around. They're also the type of band that takes crazy difficult shows and cleans the heck out of them. 

I think there is a pretty good chance that top four bands advancing from Area D will be the LISD bands, who will go on to dominate state. Although Dripping Springs might push one of these bands into the 5th spot, so hopefully there will be enough bands that day to send five to state.

Hopefully 6. With the wild card spot going to lehman, hays or Connally.

I'm gonna have to agree with you as well, but only on the UIL track. I believe Vandegrift has enough going on in terms of design to be able to push over CP at BOA, but I think CP will likely take over Vandy at area or state, depending on when they get to their signature level of execution.

I love both bands this year and it's gonna be very cool to see how things turn out between them........ But yeah I'll go ahead and say the 4A champion will be from LISD

Here is a daring prediction: if there are four Area D spots to State, then all of them will be LISD High Schools. Hopefully there are five and I will be able to add Dripping Springs making the prediction more believable. Also an LISD High School will win 4A State this year, the question is who?

Don't mean to be picky with facts but I figured as an LISD alum I'm gonna help you out. LISD is all area B up here in North Dallas. There are 5 high schools in LISD, 4 of which are 4A (Hebron, Marcus, the up and rising Flower Mound, and the lesser known Lewisville) and the last is a 4A school The Colony high school. The Colony was an excellent band in the late 90's and 2000 but with the school splitting with Hebron being formed the program died down. This year is their first year with Director of Bands Luis Saldana who taught as the assistant director of bands at Hebron for 8 years. I have high hopes for him as he takes on this new program and with any luck LISD with have the 4A and 5A state champion  :D

LISD also refers to the Leander ISD Schools in Northwest Austin - Leander, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, Rouse and Vandegrift - which is a powerhouse district for marching band as well, including four state finalists, a state champion, and two Grand Nationals finalists. All of these bands are 4A and in Area D. When speaking about 5A, it's safe to assume that Area B's LISD is up for discussion, but in 4A, Area D's LISD is more likely to be the subject of conversation.

LISD also refers to the Leander ISD Schools in Northwest Austin - Leander, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, Rouse and Vandegrift - which is a powerhouse district for marching band as well, including four state finalists, a state champion, and two Grand Nationals finalists. All of these bands are 4A and in Area D. When speaking about 5A, it's safe to assume that Area B's LISD is up for discussion, but in 4A, Area D's LISD is more likely to be the subject of conversation.

Oh wow I'm sorry. Didn't mean to go on the rant without looking that up.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like grand nationals is going to be really competitive this year and one of the most exciting. From what I have noticed this year after watching numerous bands perform at BOA Dallas this year and seeing visually where these school are heading and how amazing they performed I can already tell that was a small chunk of excitement of what we are going to see from grand nationals. I will say though , I really enjoyed LD Bells show this year . When I saw their show at BOA Dallas I was amazed both visually and musically. They brought a sound that flooded Allen stadium. The stadium felt like a pool of soothing and energetic sounds that it left me blown away.

• 5 months later...