Any Dark Horses to state?

I go to Lake Ridge and I would like to know what a "dark horse" even is... I'm new to this site so I don't really get y'all's lingo sometime. Sorry, I'm lame.

A dark horse is a relatively unknown, new, or up-and-coming band that could contend at the state marching contest. Contention could be defined as making finals, medaling, or even possibly winning the state championship.

In my opinion, Vista Ridge is a dark horse. I'll be honest: I didn't give VR much of a chance at the start of the year. However, the students have proven me wrong in a huge way. I really enjoy the power of the ensemble playing as well as the brilliance of the soloists. I think Cedar Park and Vista Ridge are the "favorites" to win next week, but of course anything can happen. And things do change from Area to State.

Since I have a son who goes to Lake Ridge, I am not going to comment on them when speaking of other bands.  Lake Ridge plays Waxahachie so I did see their show.  It is fantastic.  Their marching is great and the music is crisp, clean and excellent.  The only other bands that I have seen are the other bands from Area B, Newman Smith, Wakeland and Southwest, all who were excellent.  Lake Ridge was at Midlothian where they also competed against Forney, but I didn't see the show so I have no opinion, but since they made states I will assume it is also excellent.  Any one of these bands can make finals at state, their shows are all excellent in their own styles.  It is going to be an experience that the kids will never forget.  Can't wait to see the other bands as well, they all have lots of supporters on here.  Good luck to all and GO LAKE RIDGE!!!!

• 5 months later...