Our band is not very dedicated. I really want to do good but people in my band dont give a crap but yet they want to win something. It shows when we split up into concert season. Only our top band does really good because everyone in that band is dedicated, I was in the top band last year and most likely will be in it too this year.

I have a huge problem with this, sometimes I spend all night contemplating about it.

It took us a week before to grab a hold of everyone and get their work ethic up. If we were to start earlier with our work ethic..Especially at the Summer Camps, our show would be so awesome, but no one cares. When we found out we got 2nd at Westlake is when the entire attitude changed. The entire time we were silent and then that Monday for UIL Band Practice. It was a really cold day, rainy too..and so that was already a given that our focus wasn't good.. So after the warm-up.. Mr. Stein(bd) was like, "Okay guys, Go ahead and warm yourself up and play long tones.." As soon as he said that, some kid started playing the show..

Ehem, Lowbrass kid, if I may add. lol Mr. Stein started ranting on how why we are so focused at comp., but yet we still have one more left and you don't have focus on the only day we can rehearse. It's like we got some Scitzofrenic(sp?) band. It was rather funny, again disapointing. I feel sorry for the ones who REALLY do work hard.

our band has some focus issues. especially the drumline and pit. we never listen.lol....we are dedicated even though we never get our full 8 hours... but the last week before super regionals we really pulled it together because our directors kept asking us 'how bad do you want it?'

we still manage to do well despite our focus problems and stuff

• 11 months later...

Dedication isn't the issue with my band, it's focus and discipline. Unfortunately, we have a problem with having great rehearsal after great rehearasal, where everyone stays focused and gets tons done. But then we'll have a random week of unfocused rehearsals where it's a struggle to keep people quiet (that's where the discipline part starts to show). It's kind of wierd, about 98% of our band is really focused and quiet... but that other 2% immediately goes to talking when the drum majors put us at ease, or the directors go to check something on their drill charts/show score. In a band of 110, 2% can make an impact (while also ticking off the rest of the people who are there to get the job done). I'd have to say that talking is our biggest enemy, and that's what keeps that very small, select group of people from allowing us to get everything done that we need to. :angry:

With our band, I would say most of the people are focused, but there are certain people that don't, or certain parts in the show when people start to lose that focus. I know with us (front ensemble) we are usually pretty focused. As for the rest of the band...

yalls band looks really disciplined to me

So my earlier post about a year ago is a bit different.

This year it seems now that our immature seniours are gone we seem to be getting a whole lot done. Our closer this week is a completely different closer than the week of the Cedar Park contest.

Our learning curve sky rocketed.. Only 2 more weeks of this and hopefully 3 if we advance on to state.

yeah, my band is doing really great this year in contests, but our rehearsals are kinda "eh". there are too many people that hate certain directors/marching techs and simply wont listen to anything that is said to them, just because its that certain director/tech that said it. its extremely frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

With the trumpet section, we were competely unfocused no matter what me and the other section leaders did. When we got 13th at BoA arlington, the whole section came up to me and apologized to me and said i was right so the next rehearsal was great but from the 2nd on it went back to crap. We have the alamodome for 3 hours tomorrow to rehearse, i hope they keep their focus during that time.

• 1 month later...

Haha. Well, at my school almost everyone screws around. There's always people during practice or rehearsal that will screw something up because they were talking to other people or they just plain weren't paying attention. But then again, it seems that maybe about a week before contest everyone gets super serious about it and neve screw around. I just kind of wish that it would be like that the whole time so that we sould have more time to polish instead of taking soooo long to learn new drill because people are continously messing around.

As some of you may know... I complained alot about my band's complacency in this area in the past. Since then, the group has gotten much better, and surprisingly, particularly among the underclassmen- I found it heartening that they actually cared about their performance when they watched our BOA video (remember that big TV with random band shows going across it?) at the San Antonio Super Regional. But nonetheless, those people in the group who apparently don't care should just quit if they hate working on band activities. What is P.E. and Art class every other day in comparison to spending at least 50 hours a week at school during marching season? For these people, they should know that there are other avenues in which to study music.

As one of our assistant directors (he's second to the head director) said... he'd rather have a dedicated and ambitious group, no matter how small, over any group that didn't care.

• 2 weeks later...

ya i hated this year. we had problems through out the year cuz people just didnt care. and we started coming along but some people still would not learn or play the music, then area came and they decide oh i should play now even if i havent played ever on the field and we get score 6th then 9th it just pisses me off how people want to win by just doing nothing then when something big comes they think they can help but ends up screwing us over.