oh geez...... it is concert season time =/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concert season...mmmmm......

I like both seasons equally, although for different reasons. I really love Wind Ensemble and getting to play all the great literature out there with other good players (and the Air Conditioning, and no mellophones!)

Usually our director hands out A LOT of music now in the fall and we just read a bunch of things until he finds a piece that's really a lock for us and works well with the group, so thus far we have read (just off the top of my head):

Russian Christmas Music (we'll do it at the Xmas concert as a tribute to Alfred Reed)

Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral

Hindemith's Symphony in Bb

Jupiter from The Planets (we also have Mars in our folders)

La Belle Helene Overture

Third Suite by Jager (for an elementary school concert)

Some Christmas Compilation (also for elementary schools)

Probably more, but i can't remember all of it. I'm also looking forward to the NCBF and getting to perform with the Honor Band/Orchestra.

I'm glad that marching season's over... not because marching season's over, but because I don't have to wake up at 5:45 every morning to deal with my crappy directors for an hour before school. My band sucks... just when we were about to peak, our head director retired, and a noob came in and took his place. Now we (Clemens) are screwed for about 5 years, until our director gets some experience. When we perform our best show ever and get 46th out of 57... it's not the students that are at fault...

basically, I'm glad marching season's over :-)

we're going to that boa concert festival thing too. my hopes just got squashed. maybe there will be snow, that's something to look forward to.

Haha don't worry. Are you guys going to Chicago afterward or anything? That is what we did. It made up for everything =] You will still have a goodtime, it is just, well, looking back on it, we could have done something better, but I guess it is just cool to say the band has been to the National Concert Ban Festival.

It probably will snow... it flurried while we were up here... that was so COOL!

OH and if they serve turkey, don't eat it.

It's yucky :wacko:

Haha don't worry. Are you guys going to Chicago afterward or anything? That is what we did. It made up for everything =] You will still have a goodtime, it is just, well, looking back on it, we could have done something better, but I guess it is just cool to say the band has been to the National Concert Ban Festival.

It's yucky :wacko:

made up for nothing

waste of a week of my life

Concert season...mmmmm......

I like both seasons equally, although for different reasons. I really love Wind Ensemble and getting to play all the great literature out there with other good players (and the Air Conditioning, and no mellophones!)

Usually our director hands out A LOT of music now in the fall and we just read a bunch of things until he finds a piece that's really a lock for us and works well with the group, so thus far we have read (just off the top of my head):

Russian Christmas Music (we'll do it at the Xmas concert as a tribute to Alfred Reed)

Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral

Hindemith's Symphony in Bb

Jupiter from The Planets (we also have Mars in our folders)

La Belle Helene Overture

Third Suite by Jager (for an elementary school concert)

Some Christmas Compilation (also for elementary schools)

Probably more, but i can't remember all of it. I'm also looking forward to the NCBF and getting to perform with the Honor Band/Orchestra.

were doin russian christmas music too.

It's yucky 

Its just best not to eat anything served there <_< ...

Personally, I like concert season just fine. True, I think that marching season trips, practices, and generally goofing around creates LOTS more memories, but I think that concert season is where one hones their skills and challenges themselves with music that tends to be more demanding. For example, I read above some about some school that is doing Hindemith's Symphony in Bb, Jupiter, Ella's Procession to the Cathedral, and lots of other stuff. I mean, that's crazy! I would LOVE to go to THAT concert. Anyway, I don't know exactly what my point is in this post, but I guess its that concert band season is good. By the way, is anyone familiar with Chorale and Allelulia by Howard Hanson? Just curious.

- mindfulmusician

concert season for purcussion is not exactly the most enjoyable time of year, but doing winter drumline makes-up for the lact of interest in concert band music.

I completely agree with you on concert season. Percussion usually gets stuck with really boring/easy parts or ends up running from one of the stage to other while switching between the dozen or so auxiliary instruments you have to play! And sadly, our school has no winter drumline, so after solo & ensemble I have to wait all the way till spring for our Percussion Production stuff. :(

Well, in college we tend to do things a bit differently, like having concert bands in both fall and spring. Anyways, here are some possible programs that our top two bands are going to perform this spring:

Variations on America - Charles Ives

Suite Francaise - Darius Milhaud

Pavane for a Dead Princess - Maurice Ravel (awesome, awesome, awesome french horn solo)

unfortunately, I didn't audition for any spring concert bands, but I'll be auditioning for one of the spring jazz bands. :D

Also, I was wondering, what does everyone think of orchestral transcriptions?

We are not having a christmas concert this year because the Drama people are haviing their play called "Godspell" take up the whole stage and also for our springtrip we were suppose to go to Disney World in Florida but our district is not letting anyone have any out of state trips except the cheerleaders. They are going to florida to compete in UCA. This year we are just having a bad year and our Wind Ensemble are really young this year. This is the first time since ive been here that freshmen brass players have made wind ensemble, its usually woodwinds and never brass. Not trying to be mean to my section but most of my section only want the reputation to be in the top band not the challenge of playing the music. Im not going to say what section im in and neither should you mindful musician because i dont want anybody getting mad at me. Also if you must know i did make the top band. So im not being a sore loser or anything.

our wind ensemble is playing

1) Easter Monday on the White House Lawn by Sousa

2) Aegean Festival Overture by Makris

3)and something else which i cant think the name of

We played Aegean Festival last year(played the heck out of it, at that). I love that song, have fun with it.

We are not having a christmas concert this year because the Drama people are haviing their play called "Godspell" take up the whole stage and also for our springtrip we were suppose to go to Disney World in Florida but our district is not letting anyone have any out of state trips except the cheerleaders. They are going to florida to compete in UCA. This year we are just having a bad year and our Wind Ensemble are really young this year. This is the first time since ive been here that freshmen brass players have made wind ensemble, its usually woodwinds and never brass. Not trying to be mean to my section but most of my section only want the reputation to be in the top band not the challenge of playing the music. Im not going to say what section im in and neither should you mindful musician because i dont want anybody getting mad at me. Also if you must know i did make the top band. So im not being a sore loser or anything.

Dude, you know that SHS' Wind Ensemble has very high standards. Didn't you make a UIL judge CRY last year at Judson because you played so beautifully? It takes great talent and ability to do that. If the Wind Ensemble is kept at the same standards that it has always been (which are REALLY high), then I believe that there will be amazing growth, especially among the underclassmen. True, there will be some growing pains, and its possible that this year may not be that great. However, the band will be better for it in the years to come, as they will continually get better. You may have to bite the bullet this year, but I believe that the band will be a better one in the years to come, IF they are sucessfully guided by the few leaders that are there...this means YOU, bored2damax, and others that are there as well. You need to take these underclassmen under your wing, and YOU need to set an example, along with the other juniors and seniors there. This is universal among bands...in times of crisis, there must be strong leaders that guide the newer students to victory. In short, no matter what you think, you MUST do your best to help these kids keep the Wind Ensemble as great as it has been in the past few years. I wish you the best of luck in this, bored2damax...Godspeed!

- mm

Dude we did not make a judge cry we made the Judson band director cry with the song October. You cant compare last year with this year because last year we were packed with seniors and we learned the songs in 6 weeks and we played it good. Also that year we had a hard show music and it showed who could and couldnt play it unlike this year were the show music was just way too easy. So we were prepared for WE. There are not enough people returning this year in W.E.. 1 from the baritones, 2 from the trumpets, none from the tuba, 2 from the french horns, 1 from the bass clarinet, 4 from the flutes, clarinets only lost 2(is the strongest section right now). none from the barisax. The format has also changed. instead of having 4 saxes there are only 2 one for each part, 1 tenor, 1 bari sax, 3 baritones, 5 frenchhorn(usually 4), 4 trumpets(instead of 7) 1 1st, 1 2nd, 2 3rds; 3 tubas, 7 flutes, 7 clarinets, 1 contra, 1 eb clarinet. i think thats all of it.