oh geez...... it is concert season time =/

I see...well, aside from the fact that you forgot to mention the trombones (Grr!), having only 4 (although I think that number jumps up to 6 including trombones!) brass players return to the top ensemble, with the rest being composed of mainly underclassmen, is not good. However, if it is true that most students are in Wind Ensemble because of the prestige and reputation associated with it, you need to get that idea out of their heads. You need to make sure that these students are in the top band because they want to be challenged with the music. You need to show them that much is expected out of them. You need to let them know that if the Wind Ensemble starts to lose its strength, then the prestige is worthless, for what good is the prestige if the organization which they seek prestige from cannot perform? As I said earlier, I think that some universal qualities among all band leaders should be strength, coupled with the ability to guide younger students. I know you (and others) possess both these qualities, and I know that you can work past this situation. Also, as I said in the last post, even if this year isn't as great as last year's, the band WILL be better for it in the long run, when these underclassmen become even MORE skilled, and advance past the accomplishments done before them.

- mm

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if it is true that most students are in Wind Ensemble because of the prestige and reputation associated with it, you need to get that idea out of their heads. You need to make sure that these students are in the top band because they want to be challenged with the music.

I agree with you my friend. More than likely, that's how it rolls in every school. There are so many darn freshmen in our band who shove their playing skills in my face and don't realize I don't want to be in the top band for a reason, that's because I like Doc.

I ease drop in other students conversations saying that they hate being last chair in WE, but in my eyes I don't understand why they get upset, so what do I know?

Heh, I know that WE is supposed to be what you said. I am just glad some one finally says that usually comes out of my mouth to these freshmen even some seniours.. I am not just dissing the freshmen.

Concert season... gr... the only saving grace for percussion is Solo and Ensemble, and the occasional piece of well written concert percussion music. And then spring drumline camps... if those really count as concert season activities.

Well, I guess it does for an extent.

I'm glad that marching season's over... not because marching season's over, but because I don't have to wake up at 5:45 every morning to deal with my crappy directors for an hour before school.  My band sucks... just when we were about to peak, our head director retired, and a noob came in and took his place.  Now we (Clemens) are screwed for about 5 years, until our director gets some experience.  When we perform our best show ever and get 46th out of 57... it's not the students that are at fault...

basically, I'm glad marching season's over :-)

Wow. We're not the only ones in the pit of despair! But at least we have two more years before we will have the first large (and influential) class of seniors. Too bad that will be my last year... I feel jipped. And... we don't have a new band director to destabilize things (if you can even call them stable here), as well as the opportunity to go to BOA contests.

it wouldve been smart to rescheldule it today like several bands did, do yalls band have an email system going around?

Well, friend.. We don't have our own PAC.

We use another school's PAC. It is extremely difficult to find a free spot on the PAC schedule. We can't do anything about. It's quite shameful. Round Rock really does need their own PAC.

Someone earlier posted about orchestral translations, and they can come off very well. There is a piece by Elgar (the same man who brought you Pomp and Circumstance) that is called the Enigma Variations. Absolutely stunning piece, for either symphony or a wind ensemble. Check that out if you haven't heard it, variations 10 and 15 are my favorites. While playing that piece (the variations are a whole concert, that was all we played for competitions, and added a few more for house concerts) we won every competition that we performed at. Around El Paso, that isn't saying much (many of the HS music programs need work) but beating out every California band at their competitions was a good time. Vivaldi's Four Seasons translate well to wind ensembles too.

Our Christmas concert was kinda weird. Because of the snow day we had to reschedule it for monday and tuesday (because thursday and friday were finals they had to keep wendsday open) So our lower three bands had their concert on monday and the top two had theirs on tuesday. Kinda nice though cause then the concert didn't go until 10:00 at night.

We played:

Waltz time for Christmas

Faeries by Manahiem Steamroller (had a shaker solo and some phat drum beats in this piece.)

A Fantasy of Carols ( with one the weirdest arrangements of Jingle Bells I have ever seen.)

I want marching season back because for concert season, we have our honor and symphonic bands. I'm last flute in the honor band (we have like 8) and I get in trouble for hanging out with shymphonic band members. Actually, I get in trouble for not being in my chair with my flute 25 minutes before class starts. Our director is a jerk. He wonders why no one respects him, and it's because he goes around and makes freshmen who have been doing what they are supposed to all year cry.

Anyways, for UIL, we are looking at a duel program. We are either playing Klaxon March, Old Scottish Melody and October OR the Klaxon March, Vesuvius, and Ghost Fleet.