Your Directors' past Drum Corps glories

QuadraticBeats

got one that marched SCV and was also drum major. the other two didnt because they're woodwinds.

guard director marched cadets. he said he marched when they won twice...

all three techs marched corps... one SCV, one is currently the trumpet section leader at crown and the other did magic/BD.

percussion director was at pioneer and maybe boston... im not sure about that.

assistant director played trumpet with phantom for 93-95, and has been the brass caption head at phantom the past 2 years.

Pit director was in SCV in 98 and blue devils in 99.

drumline director won the pasic indivudal snare drum in 95 and was in scv for 3 years.

and the colorgaurd guy was in cavaliers but i don't know what years

Head Director plays clarinet, so no drum corps for him + 1 assistant who plays sax.

One Assistant Director marched Spirit of Atlanta sop back in the mid-80s (82-88?), he was their featured soloist a bunch of years, including opening with Georgia in 87.

Another Assistant Director who teaches the percussion played timpani for Sky Ryders in 93.

Our music arranger/former marching instructor marched cadets 98 and blue devils 99 + regiment visual tech in 01

In terms of techs,

Bluecoats Baritone 01-05

Revolution Baritone 02-03 (?)/SCV 04/Blue Devils 05-06

Bluecoats Bass 04-05

Cadets Trumpet 03-05 (still years to go, not sure if he'll go back this year)

Blue Devils Contra 94

Crossmen Snare 99-00 (?)/Colts Visual Tech 05

• 2 months later...

Past Directors' Stuff:

Albert Lo marched Phantom Regiment in 1981 - 1982.

Mike Sloan (Colorguard Director at Churchill) marched Phantom Regiment in 1986. He was Drum Major for Phantom Regiment in 1987 and 1988.

Brian Hildreth marched Phantom Regiment in 1982 - 1988. Brian was the Visual Caption Head for the Bluecoats in 2005.

Past Directors' Stuff:

Mike Sloan (Colorguard Director at Churchill) marched Phantom Regiment in 1986. He was Drum Major for Phantom Regiment in 1987 and 1988.

Mike Sloan...

are you from churchhill? I seriously don't know. He writes our shows too, or at least he has for the last two years. Our show from last year was great, but he seemed to have serious priority issues, thus churchhill placing 40 spots higher than us as BOA.

well, he's not the only reason... our band isn't that great either =(

I doubt that was writing issues.

generally, directors tell the designers the level of difficulty they want the show to be (meaning how much movement, giving a generalization of how many pages of drill... so on so forth) and they write it to the best of there ability.

Tim Hinton wrote wrote for 10 programs this year, and I got the oppurtunity to march in one, and see several others. They were all designed VERY well, but some weren't performed as well as others.

*NOTE* this is not a crack on your band, saying you performed poorly. I have never seen you all perform.

but, then again I'm speaking from my expieriance... Sloan could very well have prioritized shows. I'm just saying I doubt it.

-C

I graduated from Churchill in 2003 so I've worked with Mike closely.

As far as drill writers go, it's hard NOT to prioritize shows.

A lot of it depends on if they are currently directing at a high school. Obviously, the high school he or she works at will get the best product because the staff is at the disposal of the drill writer, in person, all the time.

It also depends on when the drill writer is contacted to do the job. If you get with him with enough time, he can work with the staff more closely as far as design and rewrites, if needed.