2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I’m so excited for this competition that I’m giddy! All of the bands are so strong that we could see a total upset. There are quite a few that have not competed in three weeks or so. That’s a long time to clean a show.

Exactly the reason I think Winston Churchill will shock people here.

I watched a recent video of Churchill and they looked a lot better. I still dont know if I can see them in finals just because I dont know who to kick out (I already dont have room for Cedar Park). I would love to see them surprise at Grand Nats and make finals.

Quite honestly I could see them miss out in San Antonio and make it in Indy.

I watched a recent video of Churchill and they looked a lot better. I still dont know if I can see them in finals just because I dont know who to kick out (I already dont have room for Cedar Park). I would love to see them surprise at Grand Nats and make finals.

Quite honestly I could see them miss out in San Antonio and make it in Indy.

The rich mans predictions                       Music: Flower Mound

1: Flower Mound                                      Visual: Claudia Taylor Johnson

2: Avon                                                       GE: Flower Mound

3: Claudia Taylor Johnson

4: Hebron

5: Leander

6: Vandegrift

7: The Woodlands

8: Marcus

9: Cedar Ridge

10: Round Rock

11: Keller

12: Ronald Reagan

13: Cedar Park

14: James Bowie

I made my predictions on the predictions page, but I figured I would post them here as well.

Place 1 Flower Mound HS

Place 2 Avon HS

Place 3 Claudia Taylor Johnson HS

Place 4 Hebron HS

Place 5 Vandegrift HS

Place 6 Ronald Reagan HS

Place 7 The Woodlands HS

Place 8 Marcus HS

Place 9 Leander HS

Place 10 L. D. Bell HS

Place 11 James Bowie HS

Place 12 Keller HS

Place 13 Hendrickson HS

Place 14 Round Rock HS

Music caption Flower Mound HS

GE caption Flower Mound HS

Visual caption Avon HS

On a side note, not sure if anyone has checked out Avon's Facebook page that TXBands shared, but here's their sked while in Texas:

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area:

Thursday, November 2, 2017 - 3pm-6pm

Birdville Fine Arts & Athletics Complex

9200 Mid Cities Blvd

North Richland Hills, TX 76180

San Antonio, TX:

Friday, November 3, 2017 - 1pm-3pm

Alamo Stadium

110 Tuleta Dr

San Antonio, TX 78212

-AND-

Saturday, November 4, 2017 - 9am-10:30am

Jerry Comalander Stadium

12002 Jones Maltsberger Rd

San Antonio, TX 78216

And, based on a comment on Avon's FB post, they are being hosted at dinner this evening by ... the Flower Mound Band. A very nice welcome to Texas!

And, based on a comment on Avon's FB post, they are being hosted at dinner this evening by ... the Flower Mound Band. A very nice welcome to Texas!

I was talking with Daniel about that very thing yesterday and I totally loved what he had to say about the shared meal..."break bread and then break the Alamodome!" :D

Wilkinson’s Predictions:

1. Flower Mound H.S., TX

2. Avon H.S., IN

3. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

4. Hebron H.S., TX

5. Vandegrift H.S., TX

6. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

7. Marcus H.S., TX

8. Leander H.S., TX

9. The Woodlands H.S., TX

10. James Bowie H.S., TX

11. Round Rock H.S., TX

12. L.D. Bell H.S., TX

13. Hendrickson H.S., TX

14. Keller H.S., TX

15. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

​​​​​​​16. Cedar Park H.S., TX

17. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

18. Vista Ridge H.S., TX

19. Wakeland H.S., TX

20. Coppell H.S., TX

21. Cypress Fair H.S., TX

22. Keller Central H.S., TX

23. Westwood H.S., TX

24. Pearland H.S., TX

25. Clear Brook H.S., TX

26. Timber Creek H.S., TX

27. James Martin H.S., TX

28. Westlake H.S., TX

29. Dripping Springs H.S., TX

30. Friendswood H.S., TX

31. Aledo H.S., TX

32. Plano East H.S., TX

33. Oak Ridge H.S., TX

34. College Park H.S., TX

35. Rouse H.S., TX

36. Brazoswood H.S., TX

37. Sandra Day O’Connor H.S., TX

38. Lake Travis H.S., TX

39. Southwest H.S., TX

40. James Madison H.S., TX

These are my official predictions. I will be at the Finals portion of the SA Super Regional so I will once again give my Prediction for the 14 finalists once all performances have resumed but before the final awards are announced. Can not wait to be at this contest.

I'll probably start watching around noon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire top half of finals breaks 90. Last year, only the top 3 did so, but the remaining four all scored 89s. And the ones right below that were 88s.

I won't know who's going to win this until after I see all the groups, and even then it might be so close in my mind that I wouldn't feel confident calling it. Going in, I'm thinking Flower Mound, whose music could put them over Avon. On the other hand, I think that CTJ really has something special this year, and I could see them booting Flower Mound, Avon, and Hebron out of the top spot. Rounding out the top five, my gut says TWHS, whose placement will primarily depend on how clean they are, which could mean a placement of anywhere from 10th to 1st. Of course, Leander has been in the top three the past two times they've gone and shouldn't be overlooked, and Vandegrift and Reagan had fantastic starts to their seasons and could maintain that sort of success late season. And then there's the Marcus band, which has tackled a more difficult visual program than usual and could climb up the ranks. And then of course all those other great groups. What a show.

Personal Predictions for BOA San Antonio

as someone competing in one of these bands, personal bias is not included

1: Flower Mound H.S

2: Hebron H.S

3: Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S

4: Vandergrift H.S

5: Avon H.S

6: Ronald Reagan H.S

7: The Woodlands H.S

8: Marcus H.S

9: Leander H.S

10: LD Bell H.S

11: James Bowie H.S

12: Cedar Ridge H.S

13: Round Rock H.S

14: Hendrickson H.S

Music: Flower Mound H.S

Visual: Flower Mound H.S

General Effect: Flower Mound H.S

I have my reasoning for all of these just ask if you're curious

I agree. Everyone is predicting Avon winning or metaling but their show isn’t as strong as past shows this year and even if it was, they are coming down here for a reason. To compete with the big dogs. Avon is gonna be somewhere between 3rd and 6th.

I'll probably start watching around noon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire top half of finals breaks 90. Last year, only the top 3 did so, but the remaining four all scored 89s. And the ones right below that were 88s.

I won't know who's going to win this until after I see all the groups, and even then it might be so close in my mind that I wouldn't feel confident calling it. Going in, I'm thinking Flower Mound, whose music could put them over Avon. On the other hand, I think that CTJ really has something special this year, and I could see them booting Flower Mound, Avon, and Hebron out of the top spot. Rounding out the top five, my gut says TWHS, whose placement will primarily depend on how clean they are, which could mean a placement of anywhere from 10th to 1st. Of course, Leander has been in the top three the past two times they've gone and shouldn't be overlooked, and Vandegrift and Reagan had fantastic starts to their seasons and could maintain that sort of success late season. And then there's the Marcus band, which has tackled a more difficult visual program than usual and could climb up the ranks. And then of course all those other great groups. What a show.

I agree that the top 5 are likely FloMo, Avon, CTJ, Hebron and TWHS - in what order is anyone's guess. I could see this one have a wide swing between prelims and finals 

Fast food is junk, no matter how its branded. Yuck!

On a related note, I would love for those in attendance or watchimg the live stream to share their opinions on standout groups/ impressive surprises/ disappointments/ etc. The live blog is nice, but its hard to actually get a good feel for how good each band does because they make an effort to be positive and encouraging for all of the bands. Since I can neither afford a Flo marching subscription, nor would I have time to watch if I could, I would love your feedback and the ability to feel included.