2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I know it COULD happen, and that Avon has topped some stellar Texas musical programs in the past, but I just can't imagine them winning the music caption here. Not with Hebron and FloMo pushing the boundaries of what can even be played on the field, not to mention countless other tx bands that, in my mind, can go toe to toe with Avon musically. Regardless of how everything else falls, I'd be flat out stunned if Avon somehow took the music caption here. They're obviously a stellar program that plays really really well, but I see them in a 3rd-5th range, though 2nd doesn't seem too far fetched either. (Similarly, I'd be stunned if they DONT take the visual caption)

I know it COULD happen, and that Avon has topped some stellar Texas musical programs in the past, but I just can't imagine them winning the music caption here. Not with Hebron and FloMo pushing the boundaries of what can even be played on the field, not to mention countless other tx bands that, in my mind, can go toe to toe with Avon musically. Regardless of how everything else falls, I'd be flat out stunned if Avon somehow took the music caption here. They're obviously a stellar program that plays really really well, but I see them in a 3rd-5th range, though 2nd doesn't seem too far fetched either. (Similarly, I'd be stunned if they DONT take the visual caption)

I think Avon isn't as good musically as much as some Texas groups because of the demand of their visual program. 2013, 2015, and 2016 were freaking amazing watching how fast and how much they moved. Maybe if they had less running or fast-intense drill, they could play as well as Flower Mound, Hebron, or Marcus. Also in 2013, Avon did tie Marcus for 2nd overall in the music caption, so I wouldn't be as surprised if Avon doesn't take music at SA, but might at Nationals.

This might not he very relevant, but if Bellevue West were to come to SA, how do you think they would fare? Hypothetically speaking of course.

they probably won't anytime in the near future, with St. Louis being more viable for them location and competively. But I would think the would probably be a bubble band, but they could also surprise us and place how Owasso or Blue Springs did.

Here are my San Antonio predictions:

1. Avon- Based off of them getting 2nd the past 2 years at nationals Avon is definitely in it to win it this year. This spot could very well be interchanged with Flower Mound, but I give the edge to Avon because not only do they have the best brassline in the country and can play on par with almost every band in Texas, but their visual is what will put them into 1st at San Antonio. Also who doesn't love some Maslankas 4th ;) .

2. Flower Mound- Flower Mound proved last year that they are certainly a powerhouse school, and their playing can only be rivaled by few groups across the nation. Like I said before them and Avon are interchangable at first I just think unless Flower Mound makes huge strides visually then they will get the silver medal this year.

3. Claudia Taylor Johnson- This may surprise many people, but I truly believe this will be a bounce back year for CTJ. They managed to place 4th at San Antonio last year and then unfortunately fell to 10th at nats. I think this year will be more like 2014 and 2015 for CTJ where they placed 1st and 3rd at San Antonio. Claudia Taylor Johnson has also placed below 5th in finals at San Antonio only once in the past 7 years.

4. Leander- Leander has been on the rise for the past few years. After placing 15th at San Antonio in 2013 they went on to place 3rd in 2014 and 2016, and even placed 6th at Nats in 2016. With the upward trajectory of the group, I think a top 4 finish is a good spot for Leander.

5. Vandergrift- Another band that is certainly on the up and coming Vandergrift has the potential to become the next Flower Mound. I have heard their music recording and I was very impressed especially for MAY. Last year they won the Austin regional over CTJ and Leander and placed 3rd in prelims at San Antonio before falling to 7th in finals. With their season ending at San Antonio I feel like 5th place is a good spot for them and certainly attainable.

6. The Woodlands- After a fairly disappointing start to their season last year The Woodlands were able to develop their show and place 2nd at San Antonio last year and manage to steal the GE caption from Flower Mound in prelims. I have them at 6th because this is a nats year for The Woodlands and I do believe their show will peak in Indy and not at San Antonio.

7. Marcus- Another Nats bound Texas band Marucs managed to place 2nd at Plano last year behind fellow LISD Flower Mound while staying ahead of Hebron and they placed 6th at San Antonio last year. Marcus has only fallen below the top half of finals once in the past 7 years, and with nats on their schedule they will be tough to beat.

8. Hebron- This shows the depth of San Antonio if I have the band that put up the single highest score record placing 8th. Hebron is a very good program, and one the best musically in the country. Last year they placed 5th at San Antonio and 3rd at Plano. San Antonio will be super close this year and I think Hebron could easily move up 3 or 4 spots, I just have them at 8th for now.

9. James Bowie- After declining placements the past 2 years I think James Bowie will bounce back this year. The new visual rule will definitely benefit them as James Bowie has one of the best colorguards in the country.

10. Cedar Park- Cedar Park placed 9th last year at San Antonio last year but then went on to place 5th at Grand Nationals, which was the highest out of any Texas band that attended. I feel like with such a stacked group this year it will be hard for Cedar Park to repeat their 9th place finish, but they willl certainly be close.

11. Ronald Reagan- After early season success last year beating CTJ and The Woodlands en route to a victory at the Conroe regional. At San Antonio Ronald Reagan fell to 8th in finals, and they also managed to place 7th at nationals. Ronald Reagan is another group where their placing could be like 2015 (2nd) or like 2016 (8th), but once again with many great bands coming to San Antonio this year and new bands on the rise I feel like it will be tough for Ronald Reagan to maintain a top 10 spot.

12. Round Rock- After bursting onto the scene in 2013 with a 4th place finish at Nationals Round Rock has not seen much improvement placings wise, but they have maintained the same high quality of performance. It is more of a testament to the improvement of other bands than a decline from Round Rock. We'll see how they do since this is a Nats year and like The Woodlannds, Round Rock tends to save their best for last.

13. Winston Churchill- Churchill placed 11th at San Antonio Finals last year, but this year you add Avon and James Bowie above them and they drop to 13th. Also making an appearance at Grand Nationals, Churchill will be more focused on that as one of the bubble bands this year.

14. LD Bell- In 2016 LD Bell placed 4th at Plano ahead of James Bowie, Keller, and Winston Churchill. They then fell to 16th at San Antonio leaving them just 2 spots out of finals. Personally I thought LD Bell should have been in finals last year, but this year hopefully we see another finals appearance from this legendary group.

Visual:Avon

Music:Flower Mound

GE:Avon

Honestly for me it's too early to predict a majority of placements for the super until the smaller regionals have been completed, though I have a few.

Avon will be in the top three, the visual is just too many leagues above anything in Texas from a demand and execution stand point. While I personally am not the biggest fan of the ensemble balance they go for they still play clean enough to stay in the fight musically. It's really gonna come down to show design.

Vandegrift will finally enter the top 5, it seems crazy with their performance standard but they've never actually placed above seventh or broke 90 (outside of 2016 pre lims) I think this will be the time for them to finally crack it, making them the third LISD band to do so in the last 4 years.

Third and final prediction for now is that we will see a new face in finals at SA this year, I don't know who but I can feel it. So many options... Rouse? New braunfels? Has dripping springs ever made it?

Anyway I'm excited to crunch the numbers on yet another season and watch the trends and data change.

I really hope my local schools (CTJ and Reagan) learn from last year and adapt. If Reagan can do a more difficult show and not rely on soloists as much as last year (more full ensemble), and CTJ can clean more early season, maybe go for a slightly easier show (but still in their crazy style), I think they could both be competing for a medal. This year we don't get a direct contest between the two until SA, since CTJ is attending Midland instead of Conroe.

This event is going to be as stacked as ever and the top 5 will separated by like 1.2 points or something ridiculous.

Remember that everyone knows what Flower Mound did last year and will be trying to do that themselves (in terms of cleanliness and execution), they're not just going to sit back and let Avon and Flomo steamroll everyone. It's true that Flomo knows the formula for that level of execution already, but there's surely and even better formula that someone could stumble upon.

Avon will be trying for the record of most wins, finals appearances, and BOA events attended in one season, like they're trying to become a Cedar Point roller coaster.

I really hope my local schools (CTJ and Reagan) learn from last year and adapt. If Reagan can do a more difficult show and not rely on soloists as much as last year (more full ensemble), and CTJ can clean more early season, maybe go for a slightly easier show (but still in their crazy style), I think they could both be competing for a medal. This year we don't get a direct contest between the two until SA, since CTJ is attending Midland instead of Conroe.

This event is going to be as stacked as ever and the top 5 will separated by like 1.2 points or something ridiculous.

Remember that everyone knows what Flower Mound did last year and will be trying to do that themselves (in terms of cleanliness and execution), they're not just going to sit back and let Avon and Flomo steamroll everyone. It's true that Flomo knows the formula for that level of execution already, but there's surely and even better formula that someone could stumble upon.

Avon will be trying for the record of most wins, finals appearances, and BOA events attended in one season, like they're trying to become a Cedar Point roller coaster.

I completely agree. I think if Reagan could match the technicality of their 2015 show, but execute at the level they were in 2016 they will score pretty well. As for CTJ, they found that point where the reward for difficulty offsets the penalty for execution in 2014. 2015 was a harder show and 2016 even more so. If they can return with the same energy and show quality as 2014, They will definitely be competing for a medal.

Isn't flomo trying for the undefeated season too, though?

Sure, but so is everyone else. Flomo may have the formula down, but it's not some huge secret that they pulled off such a successful season last year. Everyone's going to try and replicate that level of success this year. Flomo may be good but nobody is good enough to just say "we're gonna have an undefeated season" and it happens, at least not the second time. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone showed up to BOA SA as clean as Flower Mound was last year or more so.

Avon is attending in the neighborhood of 7 BOA events in 2017, if I'm not mistaken. The current record of most BOA finals appearances in one year is held by Winston Churchill and CTJ (iirc) at 4. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure, but so is everyone else. Flomo may have the formula down, but it's not some huge secret that they pulled off such a successful season last year. Everyone's going to try and replicate that level of success this year. Flomo may be good but nobody is good enough to just say "we're gonna have an undefeated season" and it happens, at least not the second time. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone showed up to BOA SA as clean as Flower Mound was last year or more so.

Avon is attending in the neighborhood of 7 BOA events in 2017, if I'm not mistaken. The current record of most BOA finals appearances in one year is held by Winston Churchill and CTJ (iirc) at 4. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The bands I believe could go undefeated are Avon, Carmel, Broken Arrow, Flower Mound. If I were to rank those on most likely to win all their competitions, it would be Broken Arrow first, Carmel second, Flower Mound third, and Avon fourth. 

I have Broken Arrow at first because they only competition they are probably going to lose is Grand Nationals, so that is less chance of loss. That reason is also why I have Carmel at second, because they don't have as many huge competitions compared to Flower Mound and Avon. Reason applies to Flower Mound and Avon. 

Example. For Carmel to sweep, they only have to win two invitationals (one of which Avon is hosting, so they won't compete), win dayton, win long beach, win  Indy super, and win grand nationals. Avon would have to win one invitational, win one indiana circuit, win dayton, win canton, win SA, win indy, and Grand Nationals.

Though if they were all doing the same competitions the entire year, I would say Avon would be most likely to go undefeated. 

I *think* Carmel on a year they skipped ISSMA might tie or beat this record. No other band traveled as much as them, and the BOA regionals used to be a little more limited before about 8 or so years ago, so probably nobody else comes close. I think Bell may also have gotten four in a season during their stretch of GN trips.

I see your point there. But you also have to remember that those are BOA competitions that a Avon is attending and not invitationals. Those are much harder to win even for a band like Avon.

Yes, that's why they gave Avon the lowest chance of going undefeated. Avon has the toughest road out of all four, with FloMo just behind. Broken Arrow, on the other hand, will almost undoubtedly be undefeated until November.

1. Avon H.S., IN

2. Flower Mound H.S., TX

3. The Woodlands H.S., TX

4. Hebron H.S., TX

5. Vandegrift H.S., TX

6. Leander H.S., TX

7. Marcus H.S., TX

8. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

9. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

10. Cedar Park H.S., TX

11. Round Rock H.S., TX

12. James Bowie H.S., TX

13. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

14. LD Bell H.S., TX

15. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

16. Coppell H.S., TX

17. Keller H.S., TX

18. Cypress Fair H.S., TX

19. Wakeland H.S., TX

20. Vista Ridge H.S., TX

21. Prosper H.S., TX

22. Westlake H.S., TX

23. College Park H.S., TX

24. James Martin H.S., TX

25. Oak Ridge H.S., TX

26. Westwood H.S., TX

27. Keller Central H.S., TX

28. North Shore H.S., TX

29. Pearland H.S., TX

30. Leander Rouse H.S., TX

1. Avon H.S., IN

2. Flower Mound H.S., TX

3. The Woodlands H.S., TX

4. Hebron H.S., TX

5. Vandegrift H.S., TX

6. Leander H.S., TX

7. Marcus H.S., TX

8. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

9. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

10. Cedar Park H.S., TX

11. Round Rock H.S., TX

12. James Bowie H.S., TX

13. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

14. LD Bell H.S., TX

15. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

16. Coppell H.S., TX

17. Keller H.S., TX

18. Cypress Fair H.S., TX

19. Wakeland H.S., TX

20. Vista Ridge H.S., TX

21. Prosper H.S., TX

22. Westlake H.S., TX

23. College Park H.S., TX

24. James Martin H.S., TX

25. Oak Ridge H.S., TX

26. Westwood H.S., TX

27. North Shore H.S., TX

28. Pearland H.S., TX

29. Leander Rouse H.S., TX

30. Friendswood H.S., TX

Did you forget Keller Central, or do you really think they will fall out of the top 30?