2017 BOA Atlanta

On a totally unrelated side note, I will firmly stand by my opinion that Keller was ROBBED last year. Loved that show.

was it that Ascension show with all the ladders?  If so, it was one of my faves last fall at BOA SA.  My cohort in crime/fellow band mom enthusiast is a claims adjuster for homeowners insurance companies, and she called it the "claim adjuster show" since she spends so much time on ladders.   :D

was it that Ascension show with all the ladders? If so, it was one of my faves last fall at BOA SA. My cohort in crime/fellow band mom is a claims adjuster for homeowners insurance companies, and she called it the "claim adjuster show" since she spends so much time on ladders. :D

Hahaha! Yes, it was called Ascend. I am so impressed with their improvements since 2014 when no one really expected them to be good. Loved last years show.

Video of tarpon from this past weekend

There was a Steve Martin movie back in the 80s called "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".  My reaction to the music being played and the sound they make is the same as Martin's reaction to Michael Caine's house.

"Wow!  Wow!!   All I can say is.....WOW!!!"

Now...that being said.  I'm not a fan of the props....with a band that strong, ya just...don't...need all of that!!  Further, I'm not a big fan of dissonance so the music isn't "my thing".  That doesn't mean it's not incredible.

Judging from that video, I would definitely say Tarpon is stronger by quite a bit.

Incidentally, what are the practice limits on Florida schools? Anyone know?  Do they have a "UIL rule" in Florida?  I was shocked to see the enrollment numbers for Tarpon and how small it was.

There was a Steve Martin movie back in the 80s called "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". My reaction to the music being played and the sound they make is the same as Martin's reaction to Michael Caine's house.

"Wow! Wow!! All I can say is.....WOW!!!"

Now...that being said. I'm not a fan of the props....with a band that strong, ya just...don't...need all of that!! Further, I'm not a big fan of dissonance so the music isn't "my thing". That doesn't mean it's not incredible.

Judging from that video, I would definitely say Tarpon is stronger by quite a bit.

Incidentally, what are the practice limits on Florida schools? Anyone know? Do they have a "UIL rule" in Florida? I was shocked to see the enrollment numbers for Tarpon and how small it was.

They don't have a limit. But I honestly don't think they sounded better than cedar or haltom but visually they lol better idk we will see

There was a Steve Martin movie back in the 80s called "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". My reaction to the music being played and the sound they make is the same as Martin's reaction to Michael Caine's house.

"Wow! Wow!! All I can say is.....WOW!!!"

Now...that being said. I'm not a fan of the props....with a band that strong, ya just...don't...need all of that!! Further, I'm not a big fan of dissonance so the music isn't "my thing". That doesn't mean it's not incredible.

Incidentally, what are the practice limits on Florida schools? Anyone know? Do they have a "UIL rule" in Florida? I was shocked to see the enrollment numbers for Tarpon and how small it was.

Music wise

Haltom sounds great and I do like their show, but visually from what I saw in that video and an earlier video of tarpon, it doesnt compete. I love the part where they dance on the tarp though! Good luck this Saturday!

Of course then aren't better visually but I think they are better musicially by a lot. I wish them luck tho.. love the show as well as cedars

haltom from about a week ago I believe without an outro

Like the concept, but I must say, unfortunately the color scheme they chose is not doing them any favors. From far away (and on cam) it’s almost impossible to tell what’s going on on the tarp with the sea of grey/black/white.

Like the concept, but I must say, unfortunately the color scheme they chose is not doing them any favors. From far away (and on cam) it’s almost impossible to tell what’s going on on the tarp with the sea of grey/black/white.

It's the lights from the birdville stadium .up close and it the stands it's completely different. I thought the same thing from this video but in person the colors are beautiful .

There was a Steve Martin movie back in the 80s called "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".  My reaction to the music being played and the sound they make is the same as Martin's reaction to Michael Caine's house.

"Wow!  Wow!!   All I can say is.....WOW!!!"

Now...that being said.  I'm not a fan of the props....with a band that strong, ya just...don't...need all of that!!  Further, I'm not a big fan of dissonance so the music isn't "my thing".  That doesn't mean it's not incredible.

Incidentally, what are the practice limits on Florida schools? Anyone know?  Do they have a "UIL rule" in Florida?  I was shocked to see the enrollment numbers for Tarpon and how small it was.

Like bandbandband said, they don't have a practice restriction like they do here. There isn't a UIL body as far as I know of that regulates that.

Tarpon is that small (2A) as they are a private fine arts school I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Honestly wished they had boa time limits cause then that would bring out and pull down groups lol

Definitely. I really hope BOA puts some sort of practice restrictions in place this next season. Not fair for Texan groups who compete with those who come to Texas for San Antonio who have schedules like Tarpon *cough* Avon *cough* haha. 

Definitely. I really hope BOA puts some sort of practice restrictions in place this next season. Not fair for Texan groups who compete with those who come to Texas for San Antonio who have schedules like Tarpon *cough* Avon *cough* haha. 

Yeah...I see your point but the fact that Texas does have restrictions make things like Texas bands finishing in the top 10 or even winning Grand Nationals all the more impressive. 

You have to wonder what Hornrank would look like if everyone had the 8 hour rule.

Haltom is so strong musically and they are better visually than they have been in the past they have and Tarpon will most likely still win I think Haltom will place in the top 4! The music is harder than years before and executed very well I can’t wait to watch them this Saturday.

Yeah...I see your point but the fact that Texas does have restrictions make things like Texas bands finishing in the top 10 or even winning Grand Nationals all the more impressive. 

You have to wonder what Hornrank would look like if everyone had the 8 hour rule.

If I look at the HornRank Top 10 right now (Oct. 23), 6 out of the 10 bands are from Texas. Looking at the whole Top 30, 16 out of the 30 are from Texas. Even with the 8 hour rule, Texas dominates with 60% in the top ten and 53% in the Top 30. That's huge even with the limits UIL imposes on Texas bands.