Area B 2018

Ok, then...now we're getting somewhere!!!

All we need now is an old flute from Plano East to use as a sacrifice!!!

:lol: :lol:

We have to get it from Plano Senior not Plano East...   can't blame PESH for this, LOL. 

I have to work at the Region 24 UIL on Saturday (Clark HS - Plano) is hosting, so will be praying for no rain!      

C, D, and H are notably better in the top 3ish. B has more depth throughout the top 15ish than probably every other area and it's not particularly close on that front. B leaves out more objectively good bands than any other area at the end of the day.

I mean I guess? I just don't know how B has "more depth". I'm not even quite sure what "depth" is supposed to mean.

Depth= competition for state qualifying spots among those that have a reasonable claim at making it. C and D dont have as much competition for the spots as they seem more secure for the bands that are dominant in those areas. B has 10+ bands that are either recent state qualifiers (maybe even finalists) or BOA regional or super Regional finalists.

Oh, no!!!  My mistake....someone get Plano Senior High on the line!! 

No worries, I live in Plano and it's confusing!   A few years ago when I was discussing the different schools and the new alignments with a friend who is a Plano Senior graduate, I referred to Plano Senior  as Plano Central because  we have a Plano East, a Plano West and Plano Senior, which is the "central"  campus.    Boy did I get an earful with that, guess they don't like to be referred to as Plano Central, LOL!     

I mean I guess? I just don't know how B has "more depth". I'm not even quite sure what "depth" is supposed to mean.

Take a look at the bands in Area B...it's the very definition of "depth".  It's not a contest of 3 or 4 bands, it's a contest of 10-15 bands. 

There are 10-12 bands who could/should advance to State.  Every band in finals has a legitimate shot of advancing....that's depth!  Show me another area where that is the case.

Area C and D are far more stacked than Area B. 

Eh, it's your opinion but look at it a little more analytically - it also seems you're a bit confused on what we mean by depth - someone above me answered it quite well.

I can definitely see a case for Area D having a similar depth, but still, you can more or less look at the list and say who's going to make it to state.

Same for Area C: the list is pretty static. But there, you can look at the list and not only see who's going to state but also who's going to state finals.

With Area B, you have bands like Bell and Duncanville, who have made state and state finals almost every other year for the past decade +. You have bands like Coppell, who have made state and state finals literally every time for the past decade +. You have bands like Keller who are starting to be known as one of the top bands in the nation (and is really the only lock this year, imo). Then, you have bands like Haltom, who are obviously going to be strong despite missing state last time. You have Waxa and Prosper, who just moved up to 6A and have been doing extremely well in 5A and at BOA. And of course, Timber Creek and Keller Central who have had strong showings in BOA the last few years.

Right there, I count 9 bands who anyone could easily make a strong argument for making state, with the top few having a strong argument for making state finals. But in this area, they'll be battling for a spot at AREA finals.

That's what depth is.

Eh, it's your opinion but look at it a little more analytically - it also seems you're a bit confused on what we mean by depth - someone above me answered it quite well.

I can definitely see a case for Area D having a similar depth, but still, you can more or less look at the list and say who's going to make it to state.

Same for Area C: the list is pretty static. But there, you can look at the list and not only see who's going to state but also who's going to state finals.

With Area B, you have bands like Bell and Duncanville, who have made state and state finals almost every other year for the past decade +. You have bands like Coppell, who have made state and state finals literally every time for the past decade +. You have bands like Keller who are starting to be known as one of the top bands in the nation (and is really the only lock this year, imo). Then, you have bands like Haltom, who are obviously going to be strong despite missing state last time. You have Waxa and Prosper, who just moved up to 6A and have been doing extremely well in 5A and at BOA. And of course, Timber Creek and Keller Central who have had strong showings in BOA the last few years.

Right there, I count 9 bands who anyone could easily make a strong argument for making state, with the top few having a strong argument for making state finals. But in this area, they'll be battling for a spot at AREA finals.

That's what depth is.

And now it’ll be even more intense because of the fact that we really won’t be able to see anything else from theses groups until area !! Like honestly a lot could change and a lot could be a suprise so this is the contest to go to other than of course boa San Antonio and state lol

That's what depth is.

And you didn't even mention some bands that did make Area B Finals last time.

If there's a "tougher more competitive Area" out there, Area B has a half dozen bands (or more) that are ready to transfer.

And you didn't even mention some bands that did make Area B Finals last time.

If there's a "tougher more competitive Area" out there, Area B has a half dozen bands (or more) that are ready to transfer.

Heh....no kidding!!  There are some bands in the bottom half of the top 12 that could easily advance in virtually any other Area.

And now it’ll be even more intense because of the fact that we really won’t be able to see anything else from theses groups until area !! Like honestly a lot could change and a lot could be a suprise so this is the contest to go to other than of course boa San Antonio and state lol

Yes!! I cannot wait for Haltom at State.

That’s ridiculous. All of the great programs throughout Texas have their own incredible depth.

I mean clearly there are fantastic bands throughout the state. But considering the current area breakdown, only one Area is facing a huge issue regarding scarcity of spots in both finals and advancing places for bands that could reasonably make a run at state finals. That’s this one. Every other area will at least see its best programs in area finals, and can guarantee it’s very best are moving on. That’s not true for Area B.

Regions 5 and 20 had their contests this evening.

Before tonight, Area B had a maximum of 38 bands that could qualify for Area. Tonight, there were 8 bands that did not qualify.

That leaves us with a maximum of 30 bands with Regions 24, 30, and 31 still to go. If even a single additional band fails to qualify, Area B will only advance 5 bands to State.

Last year, every band in Regions 24 and 31 received a 1. However, in Region 30, Weatherford received a 2,2,1 in 2017. They did get a 2,1,1 in 2016, though.

This is coming down to the wire and I am biting my nails.

Regions 5 and 20 had their contests this evening.

Before tonight, Area B had a maximum of 38 bands that could qualify for Area. Tonight, there were 8 bands that did not qualify.

That leaves us with a maximum of 30 bands with Regions 24, 30, and 31 still to go. If even a single additional band fails to qualify, Area B will only advance 5 bands to State.

Last year, every band in Regions 24 and 31 received a 1. However, in Region 30, Weatherford received a 2,2,1 in 2017. They did get a 2,1,1 in 2016, though.

This is coming down to the wire and I am biting my nails.

Yikes. Here's to hoping regions 24,30, and 31 pull through! Would really be a shame if a great band couldn't make it to state because of this :/

It is a little bit sad, I was really hoping to send 6.  Yes, it is still possible, but with all this rain, a school that might 
normally be on the boarder between a 1 and a 2 might end up with a 2 simply because of practice time.  

Even some of the better bands with lack of playing thru their shows at football games or having their stadium
times cancelled because of rain might not be perfect this year.    :(