2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Trinity - Some good old Festive Overture! Some really nice playing throughout! The visual design is extremely simple. Cool drill moments and they are clean! Great job Trinity and I think they can be pushed with a harder visual package because it’s being performed so well already.

Hebron - Band looks ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE on the field, holy crap. Contemplative opening set...almost like looking at the stars and seeing the stories of all the constellations. The opening is so innocent and beautiful...about to change lol. Cool opening drill and great sounds. WOW MELLOS. Props now inching in from the side. Front ensemble killing it. Everything really blends together color wise. TRUMPETS, FULL BRASS. AAAAA BLUE FIRE. CRAZY TONGUING. love the percussion book. Idk if the ballad does it for me musically.... Ugh the percussion book is so creative. Ugh Hebron was so good I reallllllly want that to win tonight.

Marcus - love how they stick to the playful yet regal themes! Whimsical yet sophisticated. Marcus is just so clean and elegant. Ethereal opener. The show is really safe visually. Some great playing in that fast section and the music is really well written but the visual demand doesn’t match the music. The percussion is definitely a strength, wow. The show is nice and clean but I personally think it lacks the difficulty (ESPECIALLY visually) to fight for a medal. Idk, I’m probably wrong. They have a gorgeous, nice, full, and balanced sound even if they don’t have the volume contrasts of others.

Marcus - love how they stick to the playful yet regal themes! Whimsical yet sophisticated. Marcus is just so clean and elegant. Ethereal opener. The show is really safe visually. Some great playing in that fast section and the music is really well written but the visual demand doesn’t match the music. The percussion is definitely a strength, wow. The show is nice and clean but I personally think it lacks the difficulty (ESPECIALLY visually) to fight for a medal. Idk, I’m probably wrong. They have a gorgeous, nice, full, and balanced sound even if they don’t have the volume contrasts of others.

So what do you find “unsafe” visually? Marcus has some crazy drill and a lot of bodywork. Not sure I know the difference. Honest question.

I said that it was “safe” visually. Meaning that most of the difficulty is in the music rather than the marching. The bodywork does add difficulty but I was mainly referring to the drill. The marching and drill was impeccable however. Also, the amazing color guard carries a lot of visual difficulty. It’s just a design choice is to feature easier drill because the level of execution will be higher.

Prosper - Love the intensity at the beginning pre show. Weird not seeing them with a ton of extravagant props. Great field coverage. Cool exposed playing and this trumpet Requiem arrangement is very true to concert. They sound really nice! They are really all out on the red! They convey a lot of emotion without any props at all! The ballad sounds great and looks so cool with those fast moving flags, definitely my favorite part of the show. Great field coverage the whole show!

Owasso - opening guard stuff is great. There are some great fast paced drill moments in here! I don’t know if the ensemble sound holds up enough to all these great Texas bands to guarantee a finals spot. Their soloists are so talented. I love their drill. Good job Owasso, very brave to come to Texas regional! Glad that I was wrong about them having a short show, no penalties! Brass sounding nice as woodwinds go crazy with the drill at the end!

LD Bell - Bell has a very recognizable visual design style, definitely very Cartwright. There’s always a eccentric visual pattern that defines the show. The guard also always wears the same pattern on the dress. The opener reminds me of Prosper, similar colors and field coverage. They do have the same designer. Great sounds in the opener Bell!!! Their quality of sound does suffer when on the move, but it is extremely hot outside. I really like How the tarp came apart to create other props! Nice clean drill! The opener had SO much amazing energy and I feel like as the show continues, some of that is lost. The ending is a change in tone and is very triumphant! Nice job Bell!!!

Coppell - love the huge field presence at the beginning. Those guard flags look so cool in the opening hit. Good sounds! What are they wearing??? Great brass technique after they reveal what is underneath the hoods! Wow they sound really really good as an ensemble and the percussion adds perfectly on top! The musical

Mood In the ballad is so cool but visually I’m not drawn in as much. Love the drill at the end though! This show has such a cool tone to it.