Kelly Mouthpieces

TRtrumpet

I was thinkin about buying one for marching season next year. I've heard some people say that there awesome, then some people say they suck so for the people that have one, are they any good? For those who dont know what they are, there mouth pieces made of Lexan and there supposed to be alot easier on your chops. There also not sensative to heat or cold so they wont go out of tune and you can get them in different colors.

The Website: Kelly- Bringing Color To Music!

Well, you will lose most of your tone and warmth that you get with metal. Lexan is just plastic.

Technically it won't be affected by heat or cold... But truth be told, all materials are. Plastic just warms/cools faster than metal.

I've played on a euphonium one. The colors are cool, but it doesn't help your chops last longer... Assuming your lips vibrate the same with any mouthpiece, they would make your lips wear out just the same.

Well, they're not really all that different from most mouthpieces. They don't serve much real purpouse... So if you have some extra cash, and you want a cool looking mouthpiece, go for it. But it won't make your tone better or help you play higher or anything... although, the whole not changing temperature thing is handy during marching season.

I have seen trumpets that are made entirely from poly-carbonite, I believe it is, anyways, its basiaclly a plastic trumpet. It looked really hooky, but it sounded good... It was funny looking though. Looked like a toy.

I was thinking about getting an assymetrical Mouthpiece... what do you all think? They sound pretty cool to me.

Well.... they're mouthpieces that aren't symetrical. Lol, that is, they have an incline on tehj bottom half of the mouthpiece and a deep top half, so that when you tighten up to play higher, it forces your lower lip up and out, and helps you play hgiher easier. Meanwhile, the top half of the cup is deep, thus retaining a nice tone.

http://www.asymmetric-mouthpiece.com/design.htm

There's some more info. Have a look around.

Well.... they're mouthpieces that aren't symetrical. Lol, that is, they have an incline on tehj bottom half of the mouthpiece and a deep top half, so that when you tighten up to play higher, it forces your lower lip up and out, and helps you play hgiher easier. Meanwhile, the top half of the cup is deep, thus retaining a nice tone.

They say it is made to improve your high range, but what about your lower range?

I decided to buy one (A kelly Mouthpiece). Its pretty nice, maybe its just me but it seems like its alot easier to get air through and it didnt seem to affect my tone any...

Maybe If I have some extra money I'll buy one for next marching season, but I think I'll stick with good ol fashion metal. Although I did enter the drawing.

• 10 months later...

last year on trumpet player had a kelly and he would laugh at us trying to play in the cold, so for this year half of the section ordered one and on the first day we used them our directors got all mad and said never use them agian, even though we asked them before we ordered and they said on cold days it was ok. Oh well thats a director for you, but they look so cool, and feel awsome on a cold day

I ordered a Kelly mouthpiece for my senior year. I didn't want my only mouthpiece to get all dinged up before concert season, so I got a nice blue Kellyberg mouthpiece. My director hates it and won't let me use it, even though there isn't a tone difference, at least to my ears.

we are way too similar buddy.

I got a blue kellyburg last year and my BD yealls at me when I use it too! nice for cold games though. and tuba christmas.