Tryouts in texas

Aegis Fang

Before I start, I should say that I plan on trying out for Phantom Regiment next year.

My band director has posters about Madison Scouts, Crossmen, and Cadets tryouts in places around texas. I looked on Phantom's site and it says nothing about tryouts anywhere except Rockford. Then I talked to my friend and he said that they had tryouts in the Dallas area. So I'm wondering...

what corps have tryouts anywhere in Texas?

Well, tryouts were in November and December for most DCI corps.

If you are interested in DCA or Div II or III corps, you can look at the thread I have here!

These corps had some form of a camp in Texas (that I know about):

• Crossmen
  • Cadets
  • SCV
  • Madison Scouts
  • Bluecoats

Some corps have the main audition camps at their hometown and small auxillary camps at the same time but in another state. That is probably what your friend was talking about.

I wanted to, but then the crossmen camp was cancelled. Then I did research into division II and division III corps, and I'd barely missed auditions for most of those, except Trinity (which I'm now a member of). I came to the realization that it really wasn't the "Division I" class which would necessarily be the best to the advancement of my playing abilities, but the instructors.

As far as I know, the only corps in all of DCI that still has open spots is Trinity, a corps that is putting out its first competitive show this year in the Division III category. It put on its first show (exhibition) last year... basically, it's a brand new corps.

I'm happy that I marched Crossmen, it was a really fun experience. But just honestly speaking, I play my instrument really well and it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. But if you're looking to maybe get some experience, lower division corps like Revolution would be a great idea. Had I found out about drum corps when I was younger, I might have done that.

Although, it was really weird at first being 16, because I was one of the youngest people in the corps on a bus with college students. That's an experience that I don't know that I'd reccommend to every 16 year old, and don't think that every parent would be comfortable with. Heck, I honestly don't know why my own parents let me do it.

November sounds right. Most DCI (and a lot of DCA) corps hold their auditions in November/December.

Frontier kicks off in January so that everyone can survive the holidays, auditions, exams, etc, and allow those members who are under 21 the chance to audition for a DCI corps first.

Last year we had a girl who came to us after not making it at Bluecoats. She marched with us and now is marching lead baritone with Capital Regiment this coming summer.

DCA corps can be a great place to get your DCI chops. It won't take as much time or financial commitment, and you can achieve some amazing things.

The big daddy of them all (if you would consider it that) Blue Devils still have limited contra spots available. So if you can pick one up and learn it, then give them a call or let John know. He'll probably want to hear you ASAP, so get on it. There are also spots that periodically open up mid-April or May, depending on if a person gets sick, hurt, or can't march for some other reason. Having your name in with people in the corps you want to march with is a good idea in case something like that happens. ;)