2006 DCI Classic Countdown

euro_euph06

Its that time again. Time to vote for the all-time greatest corps in history. I am going to give you a run-down of my picks and how they made my cuts. Here we go:

1970s:

1) 1979 Madison Scouts-they played:

The Sorcerer and the Latin - Les Brown

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Granada Smoothie - Mark Taylor

Pieces of Dreams - Michel Legrand

The hook that made me love this show was Bohemian Rhapsody. The squealer played freakin' high and loud. I think I have a recording of it too, so just pm me.

2) 1975 Santa Clara Vanguard-they played:

Entrance of the Emperor and His Court (from "Hary Janos Suite") - Zoltan Kodaly

Dance of the Buffoons (from "The Snow Maiden") - Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Selections from Fiddler on the Roof - Jerry Bock, Sheldon Harnick

It was the year after the first DCI crown was awarded and they were thirsty for more. Solid Brass, good marching, and the Fiddler.

1980s:

1) 1989 Blue Devils-they played:

Ya Gotta Try - Sammy Nestico

If We Were in Love - John Williams, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman

Allegre - Claude Bolling

Johnny One Note - Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart

Gotta love this show. They have a very special trumpet player that awesome in their own way. For those of ya'll that have heard or seen this show, you know what I mean.

2) 1984 Garfield Cadets-they played:

West Side Story - Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim

This is a corps that plays with some huge balls. This was the middle year of their three-peat in the mid-1980s. Once again, they just play loud.

3) 1989 Phantom Regiment-they played:

New World Symphony - Antonin Dvorak

They came second only to the Phantom itself. Standard Regiment at its best. Very good hornline with some thrown back drill.

4) 1989 Cadets of Bergen County-they played:

Les Miserables - Claude-Michel Sch

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this on the BOA Forums so I'll copy/paste.

1970's:

1977 Bridgemen - This show was actually disqualified from competition because of some sort of age-out scandal (I think). Nevertheless, the old-timers absolutely love this show, probably because of the drumline.

1975 27th Lancers - Precision is how you got it done back then and no one did it better than these guys!

1980's:

1984 Garfield Cadets - West Side Story

Everyone who attempts to play this music is just trying to emulate these guys. This was just one year after they introduced the infamous Z-Pull manuever, so it's a lot cleaner. The drill moves make everyone in the upper deck absolutely lose their mind, which you will see on the video.

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard - Russian Christmas Music

This is how you do Russian Christmas Music! The drumline is on fire. The hornline will make you cheer and cry in the same show. Great drill. Great overall effect. This is a slice of DCI pie that should be shared with everyone. If you love DCI, this show will make you fall in love all over again

1988 Suncoast Sound - Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child

You've probably never heard of them but believe me, they were a true innovator. This corps was the first to use original music on the field. They had a small hornline but they could blow like any other. At the time, they had the craziest guard uniforms ever imagined. The guard puts themselves in harm's way dozens of times throughout the show (You'll see what I mean). The show is cute, then it's serious, then it's weird, then it's solemn and poignant, then it's happy, then it's cute again, then it's ##### SCARY, and then it's over. A full gamut of emotions????? Yeah, I'd say so. I guarantee that this show will leave you freaked out.

1989 Phantom Regiment - New World Symphony

Uhhhhhh, yeah. This show owns you. Probably the best hornline that Regiment ever put together and yeah, that's saying A LOT! Their playing will leave you breathless. I don't need to say anymore. Vote for this or I'll hit you over the head with a tack hammer.

1990's:

1992 Crossmen - Songs for The Planet Earth

This is guaranteed to be the best show you've never heard. I believe they had the smallest hornline in Finals that year but they certainly had the loudest. These guys will blow you back in your chair and they won't let up until the end. The drumline is totally rocking this whole show. The drum break is one of the best in DCI history. This show is clinically proven to be a show you will download to your computer immediately when you get home. I've shown this to many people. They have all become addicted to it. The best Crossmen show ever!

1993 Star of Indiana - Music of Barber and Bartok

Uhhhhhhh, yeah. This show knows you and all of your dead relatives. This show was waaaaaaaaay ahead of it's time. Watch the beginning of this show and the effect will leave you shaking. The choreography was something never attempted before in DCI and still, no one has come close to the type of body movement this corps accomplishes. The drumline is so refined, yet so powerful when it needs to be. If you haven't heard it before, you won't believe the sheer power and control the hornline has. The overall effect will leave you stunned. This is arguably the greatest show in DCI history. There's only one word to describe this show: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1993 Blue Devils - A Don Ellis Portrait

This is the best hornline the Blue Devils ever had and again, that is saying A LOT! This show is abundandt in solos and solis. It is absoultely amazing to see the depth of the hornline. It's never just two or three people carrying the solos. Try seven or eight! The guard does a great job considering the difficulty of the work and considering the fact that it was raining on Finals night. Try catching a wet sabre. This will probably be another one of those shows that you don't own yet. Trust me, you'll want this show blasting out of your car speakers the next morning.

1995 Madison Scouts - A Drum Corps Fan's Dream

It's a shame this didn't make it on the Countdown last yaer! The highest sopranos EVER! This show just screams Latin Jazz. Probably the loudest hornline in DCI history. There's a good chance that, much like the crowd did in Buffalo at the end of this show, you will be standing up and screaming at the theater screen. The show is truly a drum corps fan's dream and it will not disappoint.

2000's:

2000 The Cavaliers - Niagara Falls

They move. The play. They move and play. The move impossibly and play impossibly as well. The drill moves owned Finals night. The hornline was fantastic and their drumline was even MORE fantastic. The velocity of the show outshined everyone in 2000. Your eyes and ears are in for a treat!

2005 The Bluecoats - Caravan

These guys totally broke out this past year and they made everyone who saw this show a believer. These guys give you a total package. They give you a powerful, balanced hornline. They give you an amazing color guard. They give you a drumline that plays the cleanest of beats and the tastiest of treats. This is one of those shows that we will look back on and say, "That was a classic!" The best Bluecoats show ever but if you give them a few more years, we'll probably be saying the same thing about their latest show.

Get out there and VOTE =)

Posted this on the BOA Forums as well....

Who I voted for.....

1977 Bridgemen

One of the very few shows that I enjoy from the 1970's. Land of Make Believe was fantastic.

---

1979 27th Lancers

Not as good as 1980 but it was still enjoyable. I really wish they were still around. I loved that corps to death.

---

1982 Santa Clara Vanguard

"Gianni's 'Third Symphony', Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Capprccio Espagnol', Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring', 'Bottle Dance' from the Fiddler on the Roof"

The Santa Clara Vanguard surprised everyone by throwing in the 'Bottle Dance' during Finals in Montreal, Quebec, creating an uproar in the audience that drowned out the corps' ability to hear itself in Olympic Stadium. It was so loud you probably could've heard the crowd from the United States!!

---

1983 The Cadets

"Music of Ron Nelson's 'Rocky Point Holiday' & Leonard Bernstein's 'Mass'"

Rocky Point Holiday and the 'Z-Pull' were really something.

---

1986 Blue Devils

"Channel One Suite"

If you love jazz and Channel One Suite, you'll really enjoy this show. One of my Blue Devil favorites.

---

1989 Phantom Regiment

"New World Symphony"

The best brassline to come out of the 1980's. Dark and powerful...the ultimate Phantom Regiment way.

---

1992 Crossmen

"Songs for the Planet Earth"

I was in love when I saw 1992 for the first time. The highlight of the show....the groove/drum break section. My favorite Crossmen show, ever.

---

1993 Star of Indiana

"Music of Samuel Barber's 'Medea' & Bela Bartok's 'Music for Strings, Percussion & Celeste'"

Up until 2005, this was hands down the most controversial drum corps show. Totally ahead of what others were doing in the activity. This is a must see show.

---

1995 Madison Scouts

"A Drum Corps Fans Dream: A Day in the Life of a Bullfighter"

Should I explain why I voted for the 1995 Scouts?? This show deserves to be here.

---

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

"Inventions for a New Millennium"

One of my favorite drum corps show of all-time. Emotional, enjoyable, and classy. Vanguard 1999 was goosebumps galore. Also, pay attention to the crowd response on Finals night. The crowd ate it up. Truly a magical performance.

---

2000 Cavaliers

"Niagara Falls"

What a show by the Cavaliers. If you want to see a drum corps show with the total package, this is it. You hear what you see, you see what you hear. Amazing.

---

2004 Carolina Crown

"Bohemia!"

No matter what people may say about the amplfication, this was just an all-around fun and beautiful show. Isn't that what the marching arts is all about?

"Gianni's 'Third Symphony', Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Capprccio Espagnol', Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring', 'Bottle Dance' from the Fiddler on the Roof"

The Santa Clara Vanguard surprised everyone by throwing in the 'Bottle Dance' during Finals in Montreal, Quebec, creating an uproar in the audience that drowned out the corps' ability to hear itself in Olympic Stadium. It was so loud you probably could've heard the crowd from the United States!!

I have the 1982 dvd, and I was blown away by the SCV show, but it got to the end and I was like "HECK YEAH!" and then it completly fell apart, and I was disappointed. It wasn't until I heard the story about the crowd, that I felt better.

I don't know anything about drum corps before recent years to come up with a decent list, but one show I would like to see is Bluecoats 2001. I've only seen a tiny clip of their show from the 2001 championships, but in that clip the pit had the most amazing chromatic run (sooo clean...). I'd like to see if the rest of the show has that kind of quality.

1995 Madison Scouts

1993 Star of Indiana

1998 Santa Clara

1998 Cadets of Bergen County

Althought the music of Shostakovich was good for Phantom:

1) '95 Madison was loud, high. clean, and oh ya did I mention loud.

2) '93 Star of Indiiana was one THE BEST SHOWS EVER! They dominate the year hands down.

3) '98 SCV had a rockin' show to the music of Copland.

4) '98 Cadets was a vision of the glory days of the mid-80s.

I would at least listen to these shows and possibly watch them. '96 Phantom was good but they are not the top on my list. I am willing to say that even '93 Phantom was better than '96. And besides--they were on last years countdown.

How can the 1990's go without even mentioning the 1996 World Champion Phantom Regiment and their show A Defiant Heart: Music of Dmitri Schostacovich

HuH? Someone explain that to me. The Forementioned show was the epitimy of Climactic Build up!

I'm with you on that one dude. But as has been pointed out....that show was on last year's countdown so it has been removed from eligibility this year.

This is the third time ive voted.

1976 Bridgemen

-I Dont know much abot the 70's so im just going off what others are saying

1978 Santa Clara Vanguard

-one of the few 80's shows ive seen, and liked

1984 Garfield Cadets

see above

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

russian christmas music-better than 05 if you ask me

1989 Phantom Regiment

just an amazing show

1993 Star of Indiana

one of my favorite shows ever, how did it not win???

1995 The Cavaliers

the planets-just a great show

1995 Madison Scouts

i play the trumpet, what can i say...i had to vote for this one

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

easily the best show of the decade if you ask me, great overall package, and shouldve won

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

my favorite show ever-to bad it wont get enough votes...

2005 Phantom Regiment

-i loved the hornline

QUOTE (Aegis Fang @ Feb 9 2006, 10:25 PM)
bottle dance?

The Santa Clara Vanguard 'Bottle Dance'

user posted image

It's a routine by the SCV guard that originated back in the 1970's.

Most recently, SCV threw in the 'Bottle Dance' in their 2001 Finals performance at the end of the 'New Era' chant. You can hear the crowd go crazy on the recordings.